New Fins :)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaTwo:
I am waiting for my new Jet Fins to arrive Unfortunatley I did not get a chance to try them out first I currently use Avanti Quattros. Can you give me any advice/tips on how finning will be different? Any advice is much appreciated, Thanks :)

i have actually owned both, starting with the Quattros, which i switched for Jets recently.

i like the Jets MUCH, MUCH more

they are stiffer and easier to kick. the Quattros sort of "wobbled" at times.

where the Jets really shine is in doing frog kicks, mod frog kicks, helo turns,
and backward kicks. it's so much easier, it's not funny

you'll love your jets

mdb:
Jet fins are a 30 year old design. Vents in fins really have no function.
Any marine mammal-whales, dolphins, seals, sea-lions, etc have no
"vents" in their fins. DIR, etc. may feel that this works but, in reality,
it does not. Divers who like the feel of the stiffer rubber fins can try Atomic,
Oceanic, SCUBA-PRO, and other brands and they will find a fin that will "back-up", frog kick, etc. and be much more efficent then any fin with vents [holes]. No marine mammals have vents/holes in their fins. Jet fins were simply an answer to the US DIVERS Rocket fins and have no real value. The best paddle style fins are the Mares
and Cressi models, the best split fins: Atomic, Apollo, Scuba-Pro, TUSA, OCEANIC.
Dive them all and make your own decision.

I would love to try them all! Unfortunately thats not an option right now so I try out what I can and get advice from ppl like you :) Thanks for the tips.

I may be mistaken, but I was pretty sure that the Jets were made BEFORE the Rockets and that USD had to modify the jet ports to an inferrior design to to skirt a copyright issue. A 10% change in design to avoid lawsuits, The jets still have a tenatious following after 40 years, so I can only imagine that the ports do somthing other than look cool. All I really know is that they work great.

dbg40:
I may be mistaken, but I was pretty sure that the Jets were made BEFORE the Rockets and that USD had to modify the jet ports to an inferrior design to to skirt a copyright issue. A 10% change in design to avoid lawsuits, The jets still have a tenatious following after 40 years, so I can only imagine that the ports do somthing other than look cool. All I really know is that they work great.

dbg40 is correct. The USD rocket fins were a response to the original SCUBA PRO jet fins. He is also correct that any product that still has a faithfull following after 40 years is worth looking at. I just reviewed all my old USD and SCUBA PRO catalogs and old SKIN DIVER ads to confirm this.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom