New Fl diver, big guy looking for gear reviews

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the welcomes and the posts. I will take a look at the Florida Conch Divers Forum as well. Just went to my local dive shop and signed up for the Advanced class, and the Nitrox class. This is starting to feel like another one of those very consuming hobbies.... in a good way;-)

Hey Jason,

Welcome aboard!

What size Jet fins were you wearing and what style boots? I wear a size 13-14 shoe and wear an XXL jet (they are a new size - so they may not have been available when you tried them) they and the Turtles seem to have some of the largest foot pockets available. I use a 7mm size 13 boot with lug sole with XXL jets and spring straps - they work great for me - Turtles also fit great - either fits size 14-15 easily also.

You might check out http://www.kidspot.org/personal/scubaboard/fincomparison.html for more info.

Aloha, Tim

Pyrofish:
I'm a big som'bich
Jason

By far the funniest opening to a post that I have ever read! :)

XXL Jets are also prety big som'bich's

Now this is good info! The dive shop only had XL Jets, and I know my old Jets are only XL. I'll have to look into this further. My foot is a size 13, and with that DeepSee boot it just doesn't want to slip into the XL Jet, or out of it for that matter... You should see me struggling hanging on the back of the boat trying to get the fin off once I've managed to wedge it in there! hehe

I'll still have to keep an eye out for the others mentioned on this thread and give them a try. There's always room for more sets of fins :wink:
Thanks again
Jason

I'll bet the XXL's will fit you perfectly.

the shops around here have to special order them too.

btw - you might find that you need/want a larger boot once you do get them :wink: That's the reason I ended up going with the High-Tide Ranger boots - you get a LOT of room in the XXL's Rock boots/Whitey's, etc.. might be another consideration. Several of us have worn tennis shoes that worked great (in the size 13 range).

I could "almost" wear the XL jets in a very thin boot, but they still squeezed my fit width wise. Barefoot they are a good fit - but then that sharp lava rock isn't :wink:

Aloha, Tim

Pyrofish:
Now this is good info! The dive shop only had XL Jets, and I know my old Jets are only XL. I'll have to look into this further. My foot is a size 13, and with that DeepSee boot it just doesn't want to slip into the XL Jet, or out of it for that matter... You should see me struggling hanging on the back of the boat trying to get the fin off once I've managed to wedge it in there! hehe

I'll still have to keep an eye out for the others mentioned on this thread and give them a try. There's always room for more sets of fins :wink:
Thanks again
Jason

Pyrofish:

Thanks again
Jason
My buddy - also a size 13-14, fits comfortably into XL TUSA Expert Zooms and Genesis Blitz fins. I know they're both split fins which you don't prefer, but you might try others in their line.

If you're looking for a BC - I'm also pretty big, 6'3' 275 - I fit comfortably into an XXL Zeagle Ranger LTD. In fact I had to adjust it in one position.

oh you mean BC recommendations too? LOL I'll be the first to recommend trying a bp/wing combo - it was like putting a t-shirt on after wearing a suit and tie for me (I started out in a Jacket style BC) Plus it is VERSATILE in sizing - I'm 6' 270lbs, one of my dive buddy's is 5'4" 110lbs - we both wear the same size plates and are quite comfortable...

Aloha, Tim

kidspot:
oh you mean BC recommendations too? LOL I'll be the first to recommend trying a bp/wing combo - it was like putting a t-shirt on after wearing a suit and tie for me (I started out in a Jacket style BC) Plus it is VERSATILE in sizing - I'm 6' 270lbs, one of my dive buddy's is 5'4" 110lbs - we both wear the same size plates and are quite comfortable...
Aloha, Tim

Good comparison site Tim. And I like the idea of the bp/wing too. They told us in class that no one really does that anymore, (trying to sell jacket BC's of course) but they sure do look a lot more comfortable for some situations. BTW, I'm 6'1 and 300lbs. About 2' across the shoulder, so getting recommedations from other big guys helps alot. When you talk to the little skinny guys in the shop, they have no idea what bigger people are dealing with in their gear.

Thanks again
Jason

Jason, definitely look in to the BP/W set up. I think you'll find that it's a much more comfortable system and the adjustability will work out great for you.

This is as good as it gets:
http://www.halcyon.net/mc/eclipse.shtml

Back
Top Bottom