NEW Florida shipwreck book and presentation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aue-mike

Contributor
Reaction score
Arcadia Publishing is releasing a new book, Florida Shipwrecks, on September 8, 2008. The book documents Florida's maritime history through numerous shipwreck events over the past four centuries. It also includes several new potential shipwreck identifications, such as "Mike's Wreck" off Key Largo and the "Patricia Target Ship" off Key West. It should be available at most major book stores such as Barnes and Noble, Borders, etc., as well as in gift shops at local museums and tourist attractions.

newbookcover.jpg

On the evening of September 11, I will be giving a short presentation at Aquatic Obsessions (6193 Central Ave, St. Petersburg, Florida 33710) on the identification of the "Southjack Wreck," as well as giving an overview of the new book. If you are looking to grab an early copy, please swing on by...

Also look for an article in the St. Petersburg Times on Friday, September 5, regarding the identification of the "Southjack Wreck."

Cheers,
Mike

How does it differ from your previous book, Shipwrecks of the Sunshine State: Florida's Submerged History?

I was wondering the same thing! But I love reading books about Florida waters so I'll be getting this one too! Wish I lived over in that area so I could come to the presentation. Maybe you'll do a book signing over here in Melbourne at our Barnes and Noble!

Something I posted on another forum...

Just to be clear, this is not a second edition of the first book. It is a different format intended for a broader, general audience. There are no GPS coordinates and it is all B/W images with extended captions. While a few of the images were included in my original book, I dug up lots of new images, including a few never before published (to my knowledge). Of particular interest to a few here would be pre-sinking images of the HOLSTEN, GWALIA (Middle Grounds Wreck), NOHAB (Southjack Wreck), BAYRONTO, VITRIC, and some others. I also offer identifications for "Mike's Wreck" off Key Largo and the "Patricia Target Ship" off Key West.

It is divided into several chapters that will carry you through the various aspects of Florida shipwreck history:

1. After the Storm (hurricane-related wrecks)
2. River of Gold (treasure hunting)
3. Coursing Waters (river wrecks)
4. Legacy of War (war wrecks)
5. That Sinking Feeling (modern and other wrecks)

FWIW, I am still working on the expansion to my original work - including all major artificial reefs - which will appear in three separate volumes, each with a revised and extensive GPS database ordered by descending latitude and by county to make it easier to reference. I hope to have the first volume (Atlantic Coast) out late next year. It will be a monster!

Cheers,
Mike

Good stuff! I enjoy tooling through the first one, I'm sure I'll enjoy this and the new versions!!

Thanks Mike!

Mike, it sounds wonderful, any plans to talk about it at Broward County Library?

And here's the link to today's St Pete Times story.

Mike Barnette (aue-mike) has the cover and centerfold of today's St Pete Times - Gulf & Bay: http://www.tampabay.com/sports/outdoors/article797751.ece

The photo article is about the mystery Mike solved of the South Jack Wreck's identity.
More Nohab photos on Mike's Association of Underwater Explorers (AUE) website: AUE: ASSOCIATION OF UNDERWATER EXPLORERS

Mike is also the latest new speaker joining The Blue Wild Ocean Adventure Seminar & Expo coming in Feb, 2009! The Blue Wild Spearfishing Seminar and Expo

Chad

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom