New GoPro, now what

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have the hero3 and the stock enclosure has been to 100ft and no leaks... In my opinion the most important additional accessories is the filters. Back cater has the flip but your limited to 2 filters to you will have to get out the screw driver.

blue water - yellow for shallow and red for deep
green water - orange for shallow magenta for deep

Shallow or deep is a question of light on a bright sunny day 0-30ft is shallow 30+ is deep. In lower light or lower vis use your advanced color card to evaluate colors.

What are the best settings?

I have the Hero. I set mine at 960p and I found that 30 fps works pretty good but for your 4 I would try the 60 fps setting first and see how that works. A faster frame rate will cut down any choppy video from my understanding. At least IIRC the 4 has a 1080p/60 fps setting.

Best tray and light set up?

I went with a home made tray that works pretty darn good. I built it out of PVC plastic pipe and attached my GoPro with the GoPro bicycle mount. I put a piece of bicycle inner tube between the mount and the PVC to keep it from sliding around. I also drilled a relief hole in the one cap that I did not glue into place. I did that as an experiment for too light vs too heavy testing. Having water inside the PVC does not make it too heavy but if you drop it, it will sink so I suggest having a lanyard. I haven't done lights yet but I suggest inexpensive. There are a lot of lights out there that will work and not break the bank. I found that my 1K light will wash out any subject I am shooting video on. Here is a pic of it.

what accesories do i need?

Definitely a filter set. I have also used the head strap but put your hood over it if you are using one if not use a lanyard of some kind to attach to you. I lost my GoPro in a lake once and had to go back and find it. I am going to try the GoPole on a trip to Cozumel and see how I like that.

what editing software?

I use Sony Vegas Movie Studio HD 11.0. It is a full on editor with more to learn that I can even imagine. GoPro has a simple editor on their site that you can download for free but keep in mind it is basic. Someone mentioned Windows Movie Maker. WMM will not do MP4's so you have to download an addon or something IIRC. I could not get my Vista version to ever work with my videos so that is why I got Sony Vegas, that and I didn't know about the GoPro option.

I can't wait to get this thing underwater!!

The key thing is to experiment until you get the results you want and just have fun with it. Don't get all bummed out because things don't turn out right the first time or four. It will come around for you.

I made a simular rig to above but I got my inspiration from the YouTube channel the frugal filmmaker
http://youtu.be/qZtlSVgG1h8

the 3 point rig allows you to set down the camera like a tripod also when taking swimming shots of divers you can hold by top for Handel and while swimming besides a wreck you can hold at 45 deg without twisting. Also I used all T allowing the PVC to flood making it neg buoyant.

I made a simular rig to above but I got my inspiration from the YouTube channel the frugal filmmaker
http://youtu.be/qZtlSVgG1h8

the 3 point rig allows you to set down the camera like a tripod also when taking swimming shots of divers you can hold by top for Handel and while swimming besides a wreck you can hold at 45 deg without twisting. Also I used all T allowing the PVC to flood making it neg buoyant.

I had forgotten about that style of mount. I wanted to put one together like that but got busy and forgot about it.

Hear is another type of mount that I just found that looks pretty cool.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/go...ce-gopro-tray-model-4-review-photo-heavy.html

Do you use the itorch with the mono pole ( aquapod) ?

I use a backscatter tray mounted to my Aqua pod pole, GoPro and itorch mounted to the tray.....work great

I use a backscatter tray mounted to my Aqua pod pole, GoPro and itorch mounted to the tray.....work great

Thanks for responding to my question. I was just wondering, is the weight of having a tray plus the aqua pod pole,the Go Pro and the i torch taxing on one hand or wrist? Or am I missing something? Is it steady to film with? Do you have any pics or videos to share?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom