New Halcyon knife

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hoosier

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey DIR gang,

Have you ever heard about the new Halcyon knife?

There is a rumor that Halcyon redesigns DIR knife... So ~~~

They've had one for a long time now. I think its an Akona.

I still prefer my steak knife special:)

WaterDawg:
They've had one for a long time now. I think its an Akona.

Akona Coqui. AK600. Blunt tip, 316 stainless. 3" blade.

Haven't heard that they are going with something different.

The Akona is a POS, even the guys in GUE's High Springs store agree. They ARE selling a nice one there, though, (don't tell anyone) its a ScubaPro knife made in Italy. Its set up on all their in-store display rigs. I liked it so well I bought one on the spot. So did my instructor, who owns a dive store that doesn't carry ScubaPro and swore me, on pain of not passing my cave course, to secrecy :D Its a pretty sweet knife, I must admit.

This might be what Hoosier is talking about... :confused:

Here's the knife - but of course the funky plastic sheath is a Rule #6 violation. :wink: They simply slide the thing into a webbing sheath identical to all other webbing sheaths:
http://www.scubapro.com/products/accs/k3_knife/k3_knife.asp

Doc Intrepid:
The Akona is a POS, even the guys in GUE's High Springs store agree. They ARE selling a nice one there, though, (don't tell anyone) its a ScubaPro knife made in Italy.

Well, that's a fine howdy do. :11:

I admit that I fell for it on my first rig order 4 years ago. After that, I started making my own.

Still, it sorta pains me to hear that EE and H would pass this off as THE DIR KNIFE...when they consider it crap! Just another reality check, I reckon.

You know what's funny?

I remember showing it to my bud when I first got it. He looked at it and said, "That's just a cheap Akona piece of crap." I didn't say anything but I thought, "He's just being anti-DIR like always. He doesn't know crap...this baby came from J.J."

4 years later and I'm just now getting the punch line! :D

But...Doc...I sorta like mine. It's still as sharp as the day I bought it...cuts fine...nice and small. What don't I know?

W/ options like the "x-knife" and stuff you make make at home, Imnot sure why anyone would spend $50 on a knife.

The Akona is a nice knife, I've used it a couple of times. I like how small it is, and it doesn't rust. It is expensive, but I have a LOT of dives on it without losing it.

I also really like the SP knife, though I loaned it to a buddy a while ago and haven't seen it since. Really nice knife.

The knife Barry sells is quite a bit larger, and that type of knife had a tendency to slip out of the sheeth for us. I can't remember if I had that exact knife, but I think I did, till it got lost.

The cheap steak knife, X-knife and I think Victorinox makes a similiar one all seem to work quite well too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom