new here and already full of questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would much rather dive in my dry suit and be warm than use my 5 mm and be cold, which I would be in 20 C. A rubber dry suit with only a thin layer of wool would definitively not be too warm (such a suit basically has no thermal protection, it just keeps you dry).

I don't need more weight for my rubber dry suit than my 5mm.

I don't think I will go with a dry suit, cause I'm planning on using the suit I bring while snorkeling too.
I've never used a 7mm so I don't know how it feels but is it true that it's quite difficult to move in? I am going to use an underwater camera with strobe, so moveability is quite important.

I was there in the beginning of April 2009 and wore a 5mm the entire week - I was never too warm. Water was somewhere around 21-22. Dahab is a pretty breezy place...so drysuit would sure be nice in Feb when you get out of the water :)

I don't need more weight for my rubber dry suit than my 5mm.

First time I hear of such a lead-free drysuit.

Maybe you dived with a steel tank in Oslo (drysuit) and with an aluminum tank in Nuweiba (5 mm wetsuit) ? That makes up to 4 kilograms of difference + 1 kg for the extra salt in the Red Sea.

If your very first dives were with your 5 mm you may misjudge the amount of weights necessary with it (in other words, maybe now you'd need less lead with a 5 mm wetsuit).

Anyway if your rubber drysuit really doesn't require more lead than a 5 mm wetsuit (all else equal, i.e. tank, BCD, regulator, fins, torch, knife, water salinity, etc) please tell me its name so I can run and buy one for my wife :D.

I should maybe have written "I don't need much more weight" for my dry suit than my 5mm as I haven't tried it with only thin wool (would've been way too cold). But I need about 3-4 kilos more in the Read sea than in Norway with my 5mm, which is kinda explained with the alu and extra salt. So it might be a kilo or to on the negative or the plus side with the 5mm, but not much more than that, I think.

Of course, diving with a neoprene dry suit would've been a completely different story.

Actually, my first dives were with 5 mm thick neoprene dry suit. Since that, I've dived with a rubber dry suit (VIKING PROTECH) a 3 mm shorty and a 5mm BARE of some brand.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom