New here...looking for good Lake Huron Shore Dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike Hancho

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Myself and a few friends want to to a daytrip somewhere in the LP. We would like to stay Aplena and south if possible. We would like to do some shore diving and are looking for some info on good shore dives.(we are not interested in doing any charter boat dives for this trip) Any info would help, and thanks again!

I should add that we do not want anything in the St Clair River. One of them is a newer diver, while I think he can handle it, we just want something easy without a swift current

I've never heard of anyone doing any shore dives in Lake Huron. In theory you could go in anywhere there is a beach, but you probably wouldn't see much. All of the wrecks are too far out to do from a shore dive.

I remember seeing a post about some shore diving up in Macinaw but that's all I've ever heard of.

The Great Lakes arent really known for their shore dives. If you just want to go and get wet. Then as mentioned you can go in anywhere there is a beach. Plan on doing a long long long walk. The great lakes are shallow up by shore. The Huron side you might have to go out as far as a mile on some areas to get below waist deep.. Then once you get there all your going to see is MUCK. there are no Reefs there are no pretty fish. Most of the dive on the Great Lakes are on Wrecks.

In Alpena there are three wrecks near shore, within the city. The Shamrock, The Harvey Bissell, and the James Mowatt these are between 10 to 20 feet deep. There is also Rockport which is a old deep water port, about 7 miles North of town which has a pier that is nice for investigating, and some old cribbing the depth is about 18 feet.

Back
Top Bottom