New Icon HD Black seems fishy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

magisystem

Registered
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am new to this forum, so nice to meet you all (in fact I just registered, because there seems to be no other way to contact Mares directly... at least I didn't find any information on their website).

I bought a new Icon HD Black 4.0 from an Onlineshop, and it was delivered yesterday, but I am not sure if anything is alright, and if it really is a new one (and since my live depends on it under water, I am extra cautious).
I have seen several Icon HD Black before and they all came in a sturdy cushioned case weith foam insert. My new computer just came in a cardboard box with no case at all. The dealer said that Mares no longer supports those computer cases (why not; they are awesome?). Also on the cardboard box and in the manual the computer is called Icon HD Net Ready and the images all show the gray computer. Is that normal since the Icon HD Black is technically just a HD Net ready?
Another thing is that the sticker seal on the cardboard box was already broken, to the box has been opened before.
And when I connect the computer to the Dive Organizer on my PC it is recognized as Mares Icon HD Net Ready (again: does the software not distinct between Net Ready and Black?). And there is a Dive logged on the computer. Do the guys at Mares make quality controls? But why don't they delete those dives from the log afterwards? Maybe the computer is not that new after all...

When I pay full prize for a new dive computer I expect it to be really new. So if you can't tell me that this is absolutely normal, I can still send it back to the dealer, get my money back and buy the computer at another (more trustworthy?) shop. And I really would like to have an original Mares case to store and transport the computer in (I mean the zipper box that they were sold in previously).

I can't tell, if this computer has the new larger battery in it or if it is really new, so what du you guys say? Is anything alright, or should I send the computer back and change to another dealer?

Best regards

How much did you pay? The computer usually has a few dummy dives pre-loaded pre-sale. They're there only for demo and it should include the case. What is the manuf date of the computer? You can find it out in settings.

I just had a look at the computers "About Icon HD" page in the settings. Here is the data:

Build: 6th of Octobre 2014
FW Version: 4.1
Total dives: 1
Deepest dive: 57.9m (187ft)
Longest dive: 29 minutes
Total dive time: 29 minutes

And I paid nearly 700€ for the Icon HD Black including transponder for Air integration.

That's a pre-installed dive on a new computer. Surprised that you never received the case-it's usually standard in the USA. I would ask the dealer why it was not in the box. Contact Mares if you're not happy. Price seems about right.

Sorry, I totally forgot to mention that I live in germany. All Icon HDs I saw here came with the case, 'cept for mine... I already asked the dealer and he answered that Mares changed the packing and does not provide the case anymore. That's why I came here to get an official statement from Mares staff, if that is true.
How else can I contact Mares directly? There were no contact details in the manual, no contact details on the Mares website, there is no official distributor for germany... I searched the web and only found this forum to contact Mares. I'll have a look if I can upload pictures of the box I recieved...I am not allowed to attach files :(

Last edited:
uploadfromtaptalk1440439978216.jpguploadfromtaptalk1440439993918.jpg

Gesendet von meinem SGP521 mit Tapatalk

European marketing differs from that in the USA. I just spoke to our Mares rep who assures me that they are all sold WITH the neoprene zippered case in the US. May be (probably is) different in the EU.

Hi all,This is the official communication. Mares is making an in-line change to the packaging of the Icon HD computer. New packaging resembles what is shown in the picture of this thread. The black neoprene case is no longer included or the screen protector. Due to the running change, it is very possible 1 dealer could have the old packaging, and another dealer could have the new. All Mares diving computers will come with at least 1 dive logged in the computer. this is a test dive, ensuring functionality and also waterproof integrity. It is very common for a dealer to open the packaging to ensure all is included and or they may open it to display the product. This would not concern me that your box had been open. To me it would appear as if you have all new products!RE: Contacting Mares. All: You can go to the Mares Website, find the tab "sales network" it's at the top. From there you can find every distributor or dealer in the world. We are not hiding, it's all there. just note: if you are looking for the distributor in your area, you need to identify this in one of the fields, otherwise you will get the dealer. I hope this helps.Zak

Thank you Zak, for clarifying that. Seems that everything is alright after all. Regarding the case:
If you reorganize your product line, will the case be sold separately in the future? It's a great piece of quality, and I would gladly buy one instead of a generic dive computer case from another manufacturer.

Back
Top Bottom