New (late 2023) PADI Tec Diver Program vs. TDI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi guys, was wondering about blue water ascent : is it compulsory in the new Padi Tec Rec eLearning program ?

It really does just come down to the instructor I’m afraid, I think what your getting at here is that “across the board should I get better training through one or the other” my honest answer to that (bear in mind I did the original “padi tech diver” course which culminated in 50m on air, later I’ve been raid, iantd, tdi, etc is that you get more thorough training with other agencies, I actually really liked IANTD which gave much more scientific and in depth lessons but that is only in my opinion. Either way I’m sure all agencies are no longer fooling about which is very reassuring for the future of dive education across the board.

Hi guys, was wondering about blue water ascent : is it compulsory in the new Padi Tec Rec eLearning program ?
I have never heard of it.

It really does just come down to the instructor I’m afraid.

that's for extras during the class - there has to be a standard.
If the standard for a dive class doesn't include blue water ascent - you're in the wrong class.

Matan.

that's for extras during the class - there has to be a standard.
If the standard for a dive class doesn't include blue water ascent - you're in the wrong class.

Matan.
I quite agree, I don’t remember everything we did (think it was 2008) but due to the instructor being assessed by a tec instructor and they both new me I remember being completely beasted, including a one fin linear swim doing donor reg with no mask on to my buddy that was equally hamstrung for what seemed like miles… certainly remember 50m exact depth (or some of it 😜) and a blue water ascent.

As an add on question, does anyone have reviews or comments on SSI's tech (extended range as they call it) training? I have an SSI training facility close by, and the next shop that teaches tech is 1 1/2 hours away. They teach both PADI and TDI. Was evaluating whether it is worth making the drive.

The instructor is more important than the agency.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom