New LED-Based Light instead of HID?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The new LED was on a Maserati prototype in Geneva Motor Show last year for the first time, maybe the auto industry would be using it first...

80 lumens -> 120 lumens -> 200 lumens -> ....

Need something flexible so that we can adopt the new components coming up...

CompuDude:
Interesting new LED-based light I saw at the Long Beach, CA Scuba show this weekend.

Greenforce also makes a LED light also. The 15W Greenforce "Tristar" is as bright as a 10W HID and the pattern is about the same. Maybe a bit wider. I was able to try both the LED and HID lights at the same time. Each of them would light up the wall halfway across the room. Of course the LED uses more power but it is nearly undestructable.

ChrisA:
Greenforce also makes a LED light also. The 15W Greenforce "Tristar" is as bright as a 10W HID and the pattern is about the same. Maybe a bit wider. I was able to try both the LED and HID lights at the same time. Each of them would light up the wall halfway across the room. Of course the LED uses more power but it is nearly undestructable.

lumens?

alo100:

Hey Alo100.

Green-Force is in the process of listing their systems in Lumens, I will do my best to get the information ASAP. The light head ChrisA was refering to is the TriStar 15. The TriStar plus is very bright too, close to the 10 watt HID but the TriStar 15 is equal. Here are the spects for the TriStar 15, lested after that is the 10 watt HID.

Lamptype LED
Tensions (Volt) 12
Power (Watt) 15
Current (Amp) 1.25
Beam Width (Degrees) 20
Colour Temperature (Kelvin) 5800
Bulb Lifetime (hours) 8000
Weight in Air (grams) 336
Weight under Water (grams) 116
Diameter (mm) 59
Length (mm) 135

Lamptype HID 50