New Oxycheq Mach V!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Patrick:
However, I am curious --- does anyone reading this thread actually clean their wing with the plate attached? I have never seen it and never even heard of that method until this thread.

I get to my hotel, bolt my Oxy 45# singles wing between my FredT plate and STA's, thread the cam bands and it stays that way all through the week. I rinse through the inflator with fresh water and dunk the whole rig but that's about it. It stays together until the last day of the trip. I'm not sure what exactly you mean when you say clean the wing? You mean externally? I suppose if I want to get anal I could loosen the STA's and get some fresh water in between, but I'm too lazy on a dive trip. I am curious now how your new wing would pack for travel. I can fold up my 45# single in a towel to about the size of 2 stacked dive magazines. Try that with a conventional BC!

Patrick:
However, I am curious --- does anyone reading this thread actually clean their wing with the plate attached? I have never seen it and never even heard of that method until this thread. Feel free to PM me if you feel the need.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'clean,' but I've seen people emerse whole rigs (singles and doubles) in fresh water without taking anything apart - I do it myself when in a hurry. At the end of a dive trip I do take everything apart to clean things up more thoroughly.

I have the DSS single rig (and double) and my girlfriend has the DSS backplate with oxycheq razor 30# and light weight STA. My only problem with the STA is the additional cost, plus if you forget to tighten the wingnuts they may come off in water - this actually happened to us when testing the rig out the first time, but the DM found the bolts/nuts. Also, I wish the STA had a third set of cam strap slots in the middle for people (like my girlfriend) who prefer to put the tank very low for trim reasons and so that they may look up without hitting their head on the first stage (though this problem may be overcome in other ways). Also I would like to see all wings have the holes for cam straps because even some STA's require them.

RiverRat:
I get to my hotel, bolt my Oxy 45# singles wing between my FredT plate and STA's, thread the cam bands and it stays that way all through the week. I rinse through the inflator with fresh water and dunk the whole rig but that's about it. It stays together until the last day of the trip. I'm not sure what exactly you mean when you say clean the wing? You mean externally? I suppose if I want to get anal I could loosen the STA's and get some fresh water in between, but I'm too lazy on a dive trip. I am curious now how your new wing would pack for travel. I can fold up my 45# single in a towel to about the size of 2 stacked dive magazines. Try that with a conventional BC!

I do the same on trips. After the trip, I take the wing off the plate and flush lots of water down the inflator. I blow the wing up and shake the water around and then dump it. Sometimes I migh repeat it. If I were diving fresh water, I am not as concerned about rinsing the bladder. In salt water I am because dried salt crystals inside the bladder can or will result in a shorter life for the bladder.

When on a trip, you never have a chance for anything to dry out so the crystals are not an issue.

You must have a Razor 45, they do pack well. Glad to see you do not ship it with the plate attached --- some do and it is not a good idea.

The Mach V will not fold up like the Razors because the materials are quite heavy and thick.

Best regards,

Patrick
---
OxyCheq
http://oxycheq.com

*Floater*:
plus if you forget to tighten the wingnuts they may come off in water - this actually happened to us when testing the rig out the first time, but the DM found the bolts/nuts. Also, I wish the STA had a third set of cam strap slots in the middle for people (like my girlfriend) who prefer to put the tank very low for trim reasons and so that they may look up without hitting their head on the first stage (though this problem may be overcome in other ways). Also I would like to see all wings have the holes for cam straps because even some STA's require them.

I think that the buts are the biggest drawback in the system. Sooner or later you will lose one and that I why I always have spares. I carry a pair of pliers in my kit and tighten the crap out of them so they do not come lose.

All but one of our wings (Mach V) have slots for cam straps and I do not see that model ever having them.

Best regards,

Patrick
---
OxyCheq

I frequently rinse out the wing while it's attached to the plate. Dunk it in water for a while, come back, let air out/water in via the inflator, rinse and dump. I'm not sure why this seems odd, it's not that heavy or bulky, IMO.

Patrick,

How come there are no pictures of the Mach V or Vertex 55 on the OxyCheq website?

Vie:
Patrick,

How come there are no pictures of the Mach V or Vertex 55 on the OxyCheq website?

The web page is in need of a lot of work. I must have about 10 items that are not on the site. I did take photos and will try and take some more over the weekend and add them.

I've been busy with other priorities (trade shows, new products, travel, etc.). In about 3 weeks I'll be adding an additional 30 new items. So, I will have to devote time to the web site and developing a catalog.

Things that I need to add right now are ... more wing photos of the two you mentioned and maybe the ProPac, LP and HP hoses, oxygen and diluent labels for RBs, and I am sure at least a few other things.

Thanks for visiting the site.

Best regards,

Patrick
---
OxyCheq

For those interested, the details of the accident I mentioned can be found here. Also, check the post in that thread by Peter Steinhoff about ice diving in Sweden. He makes a good case why they at least have to be able to shut the post off in 5 sec even on singles.

cool_hardware52:
I've no reason to doubt Wayne's honesty. What's at issue here is the definition of "available to the public" I too have products that I've not added to my website for a variety of reasons, not ready for full production, testing not quite complete, haven't really decided how to price them, want to launch them at a show etc. I've sold a few to local dealers. I certainly would not consider them routinely available to the general public. When I do choose to make them available I won't then claim to have had them available months earlier..

Tobin, I had 150 of them in inventory in June and the prices were set well before then. Wayne was the first and I recall that because Bill Main had the prototype and Wayne wanted one badly. That is because Bill was gaining one kick out of six on him when he switched wings. Others were sold as well during that time. Most of my dealers knew about it and so did anyone that called in. The dealers are who I sell the majority of my products to.

Believe what you want to believe. I have given you evidence and you don't want to accept it. The fact is, you were not the first. I think it is pretty obvious to anyone reading this post. Continue on if you want, I made my points and will end this like the STA.

cool_hardware52:
Specifically, would you like a head to head test of how long it takes to tear down a plate with a bolt on STA, vs a DSS single tank rig?

I will time myself this weekend. How about we also time shifting over from a single to doubles and time us on taking every separate piece off so that they are all in individual pieces? I still want that swim competition as well.

Regards,

Patrick

We're all experience divers and equipment geeks, right? It has been an informative thread concerning equipment.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom