New PADI IE OPINIONS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Okay - It seems that everyone wants to see new IDC students go thru an internship, they did - it's called Dive Master. Now then, should new O/W Inst's be patted on the butt as they walk out the IE door and say - "go get'em?" No. As with teaching (in high school) someone who just got their degree, they have a mentor - someone to show them the ropes. I understand that PADI instructors can teach independently, and that is fine - but they should be assigned to a mentor, maybe someone they just consult with on the phone.

Anyway, some on this board know me. Most do not. I am currently processing thru the "new" IDC now (started in May) and looks like I will be finishing up in Sept. Some of the delay was mine and some was the shops. I have no expierence with the "old" IDC so I cannot really comment on it. The main thing I feel that works in the PADI system is anywhere you go, you get the same information. I took classes in Japan and in the US, the format and delievery is the same!

Damn, it's early in the morning - I hope I did not get too off topic...

-Jay

Ron: there are NO differences in the written academic tests during the IE from previous versions. Unfortunately, this seems to be the area where most IE Candidates fail. That is why they have instituted mandatory exit exams in these subjects as part of the IDC.

It sounds like you need to spend some quality time with someone who can tutor you in some particular subject areas. And write lots of exams!

"About the experience level of IDC candidates.... I was the only one in my class with prior instructional experience and working for a dive shop. I was the only one in the class to have a Master Diver and Divemaster Certs.I was the only one with a EANX cert. I had well in excess of 200 dives while there were candidates that were doing dives in their free time to make the 100 dive quota. I was also twice the age of the average candidate in the class."

I suspect that every course ever given in every subject has its share of people who have already "paid their dues". Unfortunately, you can't tailor a course to each individual's specific background and needs. No offense, but your age and experience are *not* typical of most IDC Candidates. I too was the "oldest in my class" when I went through my IDC... I certainly was the oldest at my IE! :wink: Because of our {ahem} maturity level we have the benefit of already being experienced in subjects like business & marketing. Most of these people don't.

Ron, stick with it. It WILL come together... honest! :)

Jay: Hello, "Stranger"! Good to see you!

"As with teaching (in high school) someone who just got their degree, they have a mentor - someone to show them the ropes. I understand that PADI instructors can teach independently, and that is fine - but they should be assigned to a mentor, maybe someone they just consult with on the phone. "

To be honest, many CDs and IDCS already do this, I know we do. *Any* of our former IDC students know they can pick up the phone any time and talk to us or email us. Or we will team teach with them (or have them teach with us on some of our courses). Or they can borrow stuff. Or... well, I think you get the picture. Maybe we are atypical in this? I'd like to think we aren't....

Hmm... you just reminded me that one of our "kids" has some Open Water tapes and some dive gear he needs to return... :wink:

Also you can pick up the phone and call PADI. If you have questions, there is an educational consultant who can help you in Training & Education. Hell, I just called one yesterday!

BTW, this is a great discussion topic... :D

~SubMariner~

Though it's no secret I'm not a huge Sport Chalet fan, they have a good policy regarding new instructor (even salty veteran instructors) joining their staff. The new inst is required to co-teach two classes with a Senior Sport Chalet Instructor. The Senior Inst is in charge, but is there to evaluate the new one and to show them the "sport chalet" way. Only after a formal review is submitted to corporate can the new instructor be assigned to teaching his/her own class.

Perhaps AI should not be an option but a requirement. Perhaps 100 minimum dives are not enough. 100 to start an AI program and then a certain number of classes... like 3 o/w 1 Adv and a couple of specialty courses should be a prerequisite for starting an IDC.

Instructor standards are at an all time low... what's the next step. Have a o/w to instructor accelerated course that mimics the Army's high school to flight school program? Standards should be raised in my opinion, checks and balances re-worked. Harsh? I think not. People's lives are at stake here!

IE: Instructor Examination - To be a certified Instructor
IDC: Instructor Developement Course - Prerequisite to the IE
IOC: Instructor Orientation Course - Instructor from different agencies crossing over

Mario, in an earlier posting you say (to paraphrase) one guy doing IE was "only" at Rescue Diver competence in the water. I'm curious, what sorts of skills was he not exhibiting? (I'm Rescue Diver, but not taking offence, as I will be the 1st to tell you that I'm not particularly experienced with 25 dives)

-Simon

I believe what Mario ment was that the IE candidate was not exhibiting demonstration quality skills. Your skills should be slow and deliberate while doing a demo. You should look exactly like the video to your"students". This quality only comes with a lot of practice.

You are actually a clone of your instructor.If your instructor demo'd poorly for you (as mine did) you will need a lot of polishing up befor the exam.

I did have a skill level of 4 at exam time (out of 5)

Ron

That's most of it Ron... but these guys were losing gear while trying to do a surf entry with 2ft waves. How are you supposed to look after several students through a surf zone, if you can't even get your own butt through it? Disgusting I tell you. This by the way isn't the only thing I base my judgement on.. there's a lot more, that shouldn't be mentioned. Let's just say that I wasn't overly impressed with leading the different parts of the IE.... :(

Back
Top Bottom