New policy on lionfish in the park

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hahaha ......I knew there was a reason to follow this thread to the end.

Just joined this BBoard today & this is actually the first post that I've read. Very interesting & engaging.

I certainly hope all works out well in your Lionfish control efforts.

I think the divers with amnesia might have had one too many cervesas in Playa! :D

That's the white one with the black on the tip of it's tail, right?
It also followed my wife and I as I was drifting/hunting for lionfish. It would come within inches of me. I kept pointing at my sling and trying to point to the reef, like trying to get a hound to try and hunt. Didnt work.

There's nowhere near enough going on in a fish's head to respond to that sort of cue. Heck, most dogs will just look at your finger when you point at something. :D

'ELF Tool, Sand Dollar Sports, Senor Frogs and many of Cozumel’s dive and snorkeling operators will be hosting a party to collect funds for the Cozumel’s Marine Park purchase of the ”Eliminate Lion Fish” Tool. The party take place on the 12th of March at 9:00pm at Senor Frogs and will be a 50 pesos voluntary donation.
These ELF Tools will be the only authorized hunting tool by the marine park to be used inside the park.

I find the idea a bit amusing that the manufacturer of the ELF tool was co-hosting a party to raise funds for the marine park to buy his product, and only his product to kill lionfish, and is doing so as a public service.

Don't get me wrong...I am all for killing the little buggers, but only one tool is permitted and the manufacturer is helping raise funds for the Park to buy his $200.00 product...and only his product?

I mean, here is what looks like basically the same thing for $50.00:
The Reef Defender | Precision Lionfish Spear - Product Description

Here is something similar for $60:
Deep Six - Frapper Lionfish Spear

Here is another for $38.00:
Hammerhead Lion Fish Buster Pole Spear, Pole Spears - ScubasWorld

I have nothing against the ELF...I have never even seen one, and maybe they are really, really good, but I think it odd that such an expensive item, requiring fundraising to purchase is the sole authorized product.

I don't have ANY connection to any of these products. I am not trying to sell anything, and I am completely aware the Marine Park doesn't need my permission to do whatever they want and doesn't have to explain or justify anything to me. I am just commenting.

If this is all simply a public service, why doesn' the ELF company, instead of helping to raise funds for the Park to buy the ELF, just give them a bunch or sell them to them for cost?

Also, did I read it right? If one wants to get this PADI specialty card (and I won't get into that at the moment) you have to use this one product? Wow, how about you can only get a Nitrox card using a certain brand of analyzer, or even better you can only get an OW cert using brand X fins?

Something doesn't smell right, and I don't think it is the Lionfish.

There's nowhere near enough going on in a fish's head to respond to that sort of cue. Heck, most dogs will just look at your finger when you point at something. :D
Ya but it sure was fun. I could almost hear my wife laughing as I was doing it. She knew what I was trying to urge the fish to do. It was just plain fun. Believe me, it was so close to me I thought it was going to lick me. lol.

Also, did I read it right? If one wants to get this PADI specialty card (and I won't get into that at the moment) you have to use this one product? Wow, how about you can only get a Nitrox card using a certain brand of analyzer, or even better you can only get an OW cert using brand X fins?

According to Mathew (mjatkins), that would depend on whether the head ElFF'er is a padi instructor, OR has friends that are who setup the class. Apparently if so, they can dictate the terms of it under the padi banner / cert process.

A distinctive specialty (like the lionfish course) is developed by an individual instructor. The instructor then submits their course outline to PADI and asks for permission to teach the course under PADI's banner.

According to Mathew (mjatkins), that would depend on whether the head ElFF'er is a padi instructor, OR has friends that are who setup the class. Apparently if so, they can dictate the terms of it under the padi banner / cert process.

I have not seen the lionfish distinctive specialty outline, so I do not know if it is tied to a particular brand of tool. However, I do know that there are distinctive specialties written for specific dive computers and specific brands of rebreathers, so that would be entirely possible as far as I know. That also leaves the door wide open for anyone else who has the desire, to write one for any other tool, or for lionfish hunting tools in general.

Little known fact - dogs are one of only two species (the other being primates) that can understand and respond to a human pointing at something.

Even my brain-donor dachshund knows what it means when I point at something. My cats just sniff the tip of my finger when I'm trying to point them at food on the floor. I don't have high hopes for anything underwater short of maybe a really bright dolphin. :wink:

That's the white one with the black on the tip of it's tail, right?
It also followed my wife and I as I was drifting/hunting for lionfish. It would come within inches of me. I kept pointing at my sling and trying to point to the reef, like trying to get a hound to try and hunt. Didnt work.

There's a reason it didn't work and that's because you were using the wrong tool. If you had an ELF and pointed it the fish would not only go where you point it but also "sit", "stand" and "roll over" on your command with just the slightest motion of your hand. It's that good. For $200 would you expect anything less....?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom