New Product Seeks to Revolutionize Night Diving by Eliminating Glow Sticks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Unfortunately I think it's 3 years down the drain for the inventor if they are tying their hopes to the scuba world. Few people are going to spend that kind of money on something that is a work around compared with a cheap battery powered 'glow stick' tank light for $8.00

Nothing with a depth rating of 100ft/30m is going to "revolutionize" anything about scuba diving.

Further, there's no way anything with a USB charger is not going to flood. They better reserve lots of money for refunds/returns/replacements.

Nevermind the fact that you can get a Princeton Tec tank marker for about $10...

EF_2_NY_600px__99831.1405422791.1280.1280.jpg

---------- Post added October 7th, 2014 at 05:54 PM ----------

Unfortunately I think it's 3 years down the drain for the inventor if they are tying their hopes to the scuba world. Few people are going to spend that kind of money on something that is a work around compared with a cheap battery powered 'glow stick' tank light for $8.00

Yup, they are effectively trying to replace buggy whips...

buggy-whip-2.jpg

I think I've only used a glow stick once or twice and I do a lot of night diving. The idea of a one time use, throw away product has always seemed contradictory to good conservation. There are several products out there that offer visible light for night diving and are reusable.

Are marker lights not acceptable alternatives? Like this, for example: Eco Flare | Princeton Tec

I recall being taught to use a glow stick a long time ago, but I thought they are increasingly frowned upon and in some cases prohibited because they use environmentally unfriendly chemicals.

Well.... I showed up for a night dive with my 35W HID canister light. I ASSUMED that would be sufficient. I was wrong. The op insisted that I have a yoke light (which I don't own) and made me buy a glow stick in order to go on the dive.

Once in the water, there was no doubt where I was...

Thanks OP------but I'm gunna stick(no pun intended) with my red plastic nite stick---turn to the left to turn on, turn to the right to turn off......one kinda like this one-----
INS-LT0015.jpg

Me too - except mine is blue and flashes. This "ingenious design"looks more like a solution looking for a problem to me. Edit: Wow - I just checked the price - you got to be s**ting me. $37 ???????????

Me too - except mine is blue and flashes.

Why do you need it to flash? Can you set it to NOT flash? Please do...

:d

I just tell the DMs to look for the phosphorescent contrail from my scooter if for some reason I've turned off the HID that lights up most of the ocean (usually look at the pretty contrail while doing loops, experience complete disorientation while alone in a few hundred feet of black water, or both). Glow sticks are a :censored:ing joke…if you're that concerned, start requiring divers to use a Jotron AQ4 :wink:

already been done...Glo-Toob | Emergency Light Source

And they come in colors and are good to 11,500' without needing to put it in a case.

lot of good the 5 pack of Orbs is going to do on a night dive when they're all the same color.

How many lumens of light does it output at 100%?
And what is the battery life in torch mode?

Sent from MiPad
(No more rotten Apples...)

Why do you need it to flash? Can you set it to NOT flash? Please do...

:d

Not diving with you - actually not diving with anyone. It flashes to get the attention of those who are looking for the body - should I not return. lol

In truth, I mainly use it with a sinker dropped on the sand to mark a specific point that I want to head for the exit from on solo night dives. Blue travels farther and flashing catches the eye from farther away. Sometimes I'll also use a bicycle red flasher on shore if there is a specific point that is the only exit.

Reactions: RJP
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom