New proposed lobster regulations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yak

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Was anyone able to hear the argument in favor of requiring divers to measure all lobsters before surfacing? (besides the arguments of commercial lobstermen that want to do anything they can to make it more difficult for us divers).

Regulation

There was an article in tonight's Patriot Ledger with a lobsterman attributing his diminished catch to divers stealing from his traps. Nothing like staining a whole group with the same broad brush.:blahblah:

That is a requirement here in CT.... not really a big deal. Just take a gage with you. It can also be a time saver.... if it is too small you don't put it in the catch bag, easy as that. I just put my gage on a bolt snap and clip it too my harness. I'm pretty certain that is how notabob does his as well. Try it and the regulation will not bother you too much.

Also this way you can see for certain what you are going to have for dinner instead of thinking that you are going to have lobster and then having to release them.

I've got no problem with measuring the bugs before you bring them up. I do it anyway. Why waste time and energy in catching and hauling around shorts? Attach your gauge to your goodie bag. However, I do question the motives of the commercial lobstermen who make flagrantly unsupported statements like the one you said was in the Ledger. I also question the journalistic integrity of a rag that publishes that sort of drivel. Hopefully, I'll be doing all sorts of measuring and lugging around lobsters this Friday @ Gun Rock.:)

LobstaMan

I was of the opinion you had to measure them underwater now. I have been doing that from the start. It really isnt hard. Easier actually than carrying around a bag of undersized. I have a gauge on a retracter. Fireguy

yak once bubbled...
There was an article in tonight's Patriot Ledger with a lobsterman attributing his diminished catch to divers stealing from his traps.

Lobstermen will find anything to blame their diminished catch on, except the current state of the fisheries.

I was hanging out on the beach on saturday, chatting with one of the local lobstermen who is friends with one of bushman's neighbors, and got to listen to him flip out about the regulations.

He got really pissed at us because we v-notch the eggers. Why? Because then when he pulls them in next year, he can't take 'em. He feels the only reason to v-notch is when you catch a bug over 5", so when you release it, and the lobster finds it's way over to the back side of the cape, "those f**kers" [his words] can't take them either.

As far as the law goes... You are supposed to measure them in or near the water... e.g. don't bring them to the car and measure them. Leave the bag at the waters edge if need be to run up to your car and get your gauge. But You're best served taking a guage with you anyway.

yak once bubbled...
I've always measured them underwater. I'm just wondering why they think they need to change the law.

Except for the time when I lost my guage on the dive, I've always guaged with my fingers, then measured underwater, then measured again at the car.

yak once bubbled...
I've always measured them underwater. I'm just wondering why they think they need to change the law.

My guess? Because once there is legislation in place, it is easier to tighten the reins.

The same goes with the possession limit. Not many people are getting 10 bugs a day, but if that law were to go into effect, it would be much easier to bring the number to 9, 8, etc.

Well there already are regulations in place.

I agree, the commercial guys want to tighten the screws until we're gone.

I'd love to attend a hearing, so I could describe watching a lobsterman circle an unattended dive boat about a foot away, snagging the anchor line.

The hearings need a balanced view of the situation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom