New Security at Airport

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't carry extra Lithium batteries tho, the ones with the fire danger.
They aren't a fire hazard as long as they are not installed in anything and they aren't stored/transported in such a way that something could short out the terminals.

They aren't a fire hazard as long as they are not installed in anything and they aren't stored/transported in such a way that something could short out the terminals.
Nope. Those battery cases illustrated work well for any AA or AAA.

Well, when I was in the cell phone business, I cut a bad lithium open once to see how they were made. Almost burned up the office. :shocked2:

...but I've heard of security agents in other countries collecting them so I stick them in checked bags. I don't carry extra Lithium batteries tho, the ones with the fire danger.
If they're the acceptable sort of battery, it's probably better to check them in for foreign travel. Usually, at least outside of the U.S., if one does get "caught", there's a chance to explain to someone higher up on the totem pole than the average security checkpoint staff. I've been called to the security office in the Grand Cayman airport about batteries, though the scariest was when we were detained at the gate trying to fly out of Quito until I could be met by security who transported me through an unmarked door into a dimly lit stairwell and I thought for sure it was my Midnight Express moment, but instead they led me onto the tarmac where the baggage was being loaded and there was my camera bag sitting on a table, the inspector merely wanted my permission to open it (which I of course granted) and as soon as he saw it was an underwater camera rig, he let me close the bag and away it went. In the U.S., however, TSA will simply confiscate whatever it wants out of passenger checked bags and merely leave a note behind.

Something I learned and want to share with everyone.

This is directly from American airlines website

Batteries

9-volt, AA, AAA, C, D, alkaline, carbon zinc, silver oxide, zinc air, lithium, nickel-cadmium, nickel-metal hydride

Guidelines For Lithium Batteries As of January 1, 2008, travelers may no longer pack spare lithium batteries of any kind in checked baggage. Passengers wishing to carry spare lithium batteries for devices such as laptops, cell phones and cameras are now required to pack them in their carry-on baggage with the terminals covered/insulated. Travelers may check bags that contain batteries, as long as they are installed in electronic devices.

As stated above batteries must be in your carry-on, however when I reached the xray machine leaving Cozumel the Mexican TSA tried to take all my batteries. To say I was unhappy would be a vast understatement, I refused to just let them take my batteries and went back thru security to the American airlines check-in counter. Once I arrived at the counter I ask for a supervisor and showed them their own list of prohibited items in your carry-on posted on the counter.
Batteries were not on the list and then they proceeded to tell me their list was correct but the Mexican officials have their own rules.

Now as you can imagine I am even more unhappy now and want them to issue a separate baggage box for my batteries or return my luggage so I can put the batteries in it. Which now for some reason is ok even tho their own website say you can't do that. Lucky for me another passenger offered to put my batteries in his luggage.

I urge everyone to check their airlines rules on batteries but understand Mexico seem to make up their own rules. Unfortunately if we want to travel now-day's we have to put up with type of treatment.

Please note I had the same batteries in my cameras and strobes in the same carry-on case and they never said nothing. In my opinion it is case Mexican TSA workers taking stuff to sell later. I am by no means saying all Mexican people act this way but the group at the xray machine that day were taking things that people brought thru American TSA security on the way down.

Again I love the Mexican people and have found in my many trips to Cozumel that they are very honest and hardworking folks. I can only tell you what happened and my feelings towards those at the security xray machine. Most folks would just let them take have the stuff as my wife seen while waiting for me to return back thru security. She told me that while waiting for me to return, they were taking stuff from about every 3rd or 4th passenger. (including a collapsible fishing pole)
I cannot believe that this many travelers (who passed TSA on the way down to Cozumel) forgot what was allowed and what is prohibited.

I would like to tell you what to do but it seems they make up the rules according to who is working that day.

Just a heads up.

PS: I had well over $150.00 in batteries but even if it were only $5.00 its the principle.

Heres a link to the Mexican TSA list
http://www.aeropuertosgap.com.mx/assets/files/seguridad/4.PDF

I was there the same day, but traveling with Continental. I had some AA Lithium batteries that were confiscated. Fortunately, all I lost were 8 AA Lithium batteries. I was upset, but left with no options. Next time, the batteries go in my checked baggage.

Friends of mine were surprised, apparently this is something new.

Ron

Just to get this straight in my mind.

1. Lithium batteries need to be in Carry on baggage, not checked. The terminals need to be covered.
2. Batteries (of all kinds?) are OK in checked bags as long as they are in the equipment they are used to power.

I don't want to head home and have all my batteries taken. I had a tool with an o-ring pick taken when leaving Roatan, (my fault). If my batteries are going to stay in the country I just visited, I would like to be the one making that decision. When I went to Roatan, I left all my extra batteries with the Dive OP as I know they appreciate it. I was in Cozumel in March and didn't have any problems with the AA lithium batteries I had in my checked luggage. I guess they didn't see them?

Just to get this straight in my mind.

1. Lithium batteries need to be in Carry on baggage, not checked. The terminals need to be covered.
Where they can steal them. :shakehead: I like packing mine very safely, then hiding in my checked gear.

2. Batteries (of all kinds?) are OK in checked bags as long as they are in the equipment they are used to power.
Absolutely NOT! :no: Never, ever leave batteries in a dive light. They can jarred on and some are hot enough to start a fire. Even LED lights look suspicious on X-ray or hand inspection and they cannot judge which are which, or maybe explosives? :shocked2:

Where they can steal them. :shakehead: I like packing mine very safely, then hiding in my checked gear.

Absolutely NOT! :no: Never, ever leave batteries in a dive light. They can jarred on and some are hot enough to start a fire. Even LED lights look suspicious on X-ray or hand inspection and they cannot judge which are which, or maybe explosives? :shocked2:

Don't get excited. I have never put my lights in my carry on, I have always taken the batteries out of my lights before I pack them. I was just reading what was in the previous post.

"Travelers may check bags that contain batteries, as long as they are installed in electronic devices."

It didn't make sense to me. I pull the batteries out of everything before getting on a plane including lights, strobes, cameras and leave the compartments open because I don't want them stuck shut due to pressure changes when I get there. I don't pull them out of computers, dive or laptop though.

So with what you said, you pack lithium batteries hidden in your checked bag? I thought the rule was that they needed to be in the carry on.

So with what you said, you pack lithium batteries hidden in your checked bag? I thought the rule was that they needed to be in the carry on.
There is no pat answer for all but to that one, from: TSA: Safe Travel with Batteries and Devices
As of January 1, 2008, the Department of Transportation (DOT) through the Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration (PHMSA) no longer allows loose lithium batteries in checked baggage.

There is a lengthy discussion with tips but those are not rules. Seek the best answers for each case.

There is no pat answer for all but to that one, from: TSA: Safe Travel with Batteries and Devices

There is a lengthy discussion with tips but those are not rules. Seek the best answers for each case.

Thanks for the link. I appreciate your help.

After reading the link, it is obvious to be safe that all lithium batteries should be removed, the contacts insulated and put in checked baggage. Thanks for the help.

I always try to cooperate with TSA regs. Sure Mexico and other countries can have their own rules, but I don't want to be an easy target for the unscrupulous. Beyond TSA regs, I try to cooperate with other countries' rules, airline rules, and be reasonable & safe - but some rules are made to be busted. Some airlines would like to charge extra for my pony bottle, so I never tell them it's there; as long as I meet TSA regs, fine.

Back
Top Bottom