New Single Traveller

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Edward,
We are in Ft. Lauderdale and are heading back down to Belize in May if you're interested. Safe diving , Marcie

Thanks for the offer, but funds were used this year for painting the house and re-modelling the spare room.

Usually dive right down south out of Ponta Gorda.

But will keep you in mind if I do a quick trip to the Florida Cayes.

Kind regards

Alison, what would you like to know about traveling to Belize. I should be able to help you out but would like a bit more input from you. Also, have you considered adding Roatan to your destination list?

Hi there,
Thanks for the help. I am very new to diving so any advice would be greatly appreciated. I chose Belize because of the meso-american reef. None of my friends can afford to come along so I am looking to travel by myself, hopefully in May. I also want to do it fairly cheap. Mainly I'm looking for advice on where to go, where to stay. Towns, dive shops, hotels, hostels etc. What's the safest/easiest way to hook up with dive buddies? Also, I was hoping to travel around the area a little so I would love to check out Roatan. I haven't heard much about the place.

Thanks, I appreciate any advice you may have!
Cheers!
Alison

---------- Post added February 23rd, 2013 at 01:23 AM ----------

Hi,
My birthday is in May so I was kinda hoping to go early May. Would that work for you? I am flexible on dates. Maybe we could exchange a little more info about each other?

---------- Post added February 23rd, 2013 at 01:24 AM ----------

Hi,
My birthday is in May so I was kinda hoping to go early May. Would that work for you? I am flexible on dates. Maybe we could exchange a little more info about each other?

---------- Post added February 23rd, 2013 at 01:35 AM ----------

Thanks for your support Wingy. Trust me, I won't let the lack of a buddy stop me! I plan on going no matter what!

Hi Alison, Roatan is an island in the Bay Islands of Honduras. Unfortunately, travel to and from Belize to Roatan is a pain. When you say you want to travel around, do you mean travel around Belize? Lots of wonderful things to do there, but even though it is a small country lots of the great things to see and do aren't necessarily next door to each other.

For learning to dive, my recommendation would be to go to Roatan. Lots more young people there and if you hook up at certain dive ops, a social life comes with it. For example, Coconut Tree Divers. Myself, I dive with Westend Divers and have great regard for that op and love the manager Mel (Melanie) and her staff but not sure that there is a ton of mingling with the tourists. Whereas, Coconuts kind of fosters the social aspect. As a diver in training, being on your own will be no problem no matter which dive op you pick.

As for Belize, the majority of my experience, is on Ambergris Caye. I've not had any training in Belize but for a good fun shop, I'll direct you to Chuck and Robbie's. I love Robbie and have known him since he was a baby dive master.

For accommodation recommendations, I'll need to have a better idea of your approx budget per night. For starters though, look into Ruby's for very inexpensive but on the beach. But even better will be Tio Pill's, especially if you get a beachfront room.

For inland, go to San Ignacio. You must do the ATM cave day trip while you are there.

I'm not 31anymore but have been traveling worldwide on my own for years. You are right not to wait for friends to have the time and/or money to join you. I've been fortunate to make friends alongvthe way and have met my three best friends, while on dive holidays in Belize. I didn't meet them all on the same trip and they don't know one another. But having met them that way, I rarely go on trips by myself anymore because we are all kindred spirits!

Feel free to ask me anything. I'll give you the best answers I'm able.

Last edited:
Hi allison
I just got back from doing my divemaster internship in Costa Rica. Have to say the place is awesome. If you are looking for a cool place to go diving in Costa Rica, check out the web page I have linked to there.

In May they offer trips to the Bat Islands as well as the Catalinas. The one downfall of costa rica, I must say, is that it isnt as cheap as I had hoped it would be. You end up paying pretty similar prices to what you would in Canada for things like food and drinks. Accommodations are all over the place. If you get a hostel you can stay cheap for sure. hotels can be wide ranging.

It is a really safe country though and a lot of fun. Tons of stuff to do other than diving as well.

hi i am also a female diver and i am going to be in newfoundland saturday july 27 till aug 6 would love to get together to dive i am 51 and got my advanced last summer i will be staying with my aunt mona in whiteway trinity bay.do you want to dive?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom