New Sony A7rII and RX100 IV

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ggibson

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
A couple of new Sony cameras were announced yesterday that should prove to be popular UW options:

A7rII: Sony Global - Digital Imaging

RX100 IV: Sony Global - Digital Imaging

Both have internal 4K recording!

RX100 IV adds mainly much higher speed shooting options with 16fps for stills and up to 960fps slo-mo in 1080p video. One small downside to the 4K recording in this camera is a 5-min limit (presumably due to heat build-up). The RX100 IV looks like it has the same body as the III version, so the same housings should work for these two.

The A7rII seems about 99% similar to the A7II body, although it has a taller mode dial and the viewfinder has changed slightly. LOTS of upgrades on this model over the original A7r and even A7II, including IBIS, an upgraded backlit 42MP sensor, faster AF, a 1/250 flash sync, and improved shutter/e-shutter.

Both appear to be interesting new choices for underwater photography. The RX100 4 retains the features of the 3 and add a very cool new slow-motion feature to video which should appeal to critter enthusiast. The 70mm long end of the lens is still a bit short for some macro shooters will find the Canon G7X might be the better choice.

The A7r II is the big news for we'll healed U/W shooters. Huge gains in auto focus speed and focus points over the first version, 1/250th sync which is about normal for full frame, 5-axis IBIS that has a 4.5 stop rating and much more should make this camera a much better choice for high res. U/W shooting. Also unlike the the same shortcomings that pledged NEX for U/W use Sony is now in the process of getting the FE lens line up to the same level as the cameras with the 16-35 mm F/4 the nifty and well priced 28 mm F/2 with 21 mm and 16 mm fisheye add-on adapters and the stellar 90mm F/2.8 1:1 macro. All on these lenses will work with smaller ports than the full frame DSLR's housings. Nauticam recommends the 180mm optical glass dome port for the 16-35 mm while they recommend the 230 mm or larger for 16-35 DSLR full frame lenses. So a system larger than M43 and smaller than full frame DSLRs. Nauticam already has a Sony A7 II housing released so A7r II should not take long from the time of release. At $2850.00 for NA-A7II it appears that the system cost should be well priced V. full frame DSLR versions.

I've read somewhere that the RX100 II > RX100 III, but I'm not personally very familiar with the technical details. I would be interested to know how the RX100 IV compares to the RX100 II, if someone would be kind enough to explain, since I have now sadly flooded my RX100 I and am considering an upgrade.

This is probably the comparison you're referring to:

Sony RX100 Mark III

I think it's a bit hyperbolic saying the RX100 III is a "pile of crap", but in many ways the II was a better choice for an UW camera. Like Phil said, the RX100 III lens isn't the best for shooting macro--the RX100 I & II had a better lens for that purpose. Another lens difference with the RX100 III is the 24mm starting focal length, which isn't as friendly for adapting ultrawide converters as the I & II's 28mm starting focal length.

Now with the RX100 IV, the lens appears to be the same as the III version, so you'll have the same disadvantages vs. the I/II lens. BUT the IV will have superior video and flash recycle, plus the slo-mo modes. Also, there are a couple of wide-angle converters for the RX100 III which don't vignette like the Fantasea Bigeye lens or the Dyron Super Wide Angle. So really, I think the biggest downside to the III & IV lens is less macro magnification, which may or may not bother you.

@ggibson: Thank you, that was the sort on info I was looking for. Since I like to shoot macro primarily, my takeaway is that I should stick to the I or II.

@ggibson: Thank you, that was the sort on info I was looking for. Since I like to shoot macro primarily, my takeaway is that I should stick to the I or II.
Go II the I (which I have) has pretty slow auto focus.

@AlMitch: I would consider getting the II, but the Nauticam housing I have seems to be still fine and the I is pretty cheap to replace. A significant part of my scuba budget this year is going towards doing my IDC so unless my dealer tells me my housing is completely hosed I'll probably stick with the I.

The body difference between the I and the II is marginal--you might be able to use your existing housing with the II. I'd try it out first or ask Nauticam, but if it works it's probably worth paying the difference for the II.

When the II came out I believe I read online that it wouldn't work but worth a shot to ask Nauticam I guess.

Back
Top Bottom