New to board / Repeat SCUBA offender

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

VegasDiver

Reaction score

I'm just another newbie to the board and wanted to give everyone a big Las Vegas "Hyia!" I have returned to SCUBA after a eight years. It's just about overwhelming how much has changed in this amount of time. I think it's just great that there is so many well-versed posts and contributions on this board. It makes me glad to be here.

VegasDiver

Welcome from England VegasDiver, hope you like it here, i know i do. I have learnt alot already from these forums.

Diving in the Las Vegas area (Lake Mead, Lake Mojave, Colorado River) is quite diverse. Although there is little to see in the way of marine life, there is quite an diverse number of diving conditions to be enjoyed.
I dive primaraly in Lake Mead which is a man - made lake created with the construction of Hoover Dam. Diving is accessable from the shore or boat. There are a few areas which have sandy beaches, however the majority of the lake bottom and beaches are composed of rock dust a.k.a "silt". There is a good number of technical divers who dive the lake also. The lake has some submerged caves an depths of over 500 ffw is some places. If you are not familar with a dive location it is necessary to refer to a topograpgical map of the lake, as you can literaly be 60 feet from the shore and in over 300 feet of water. Altitude of Lake Mead is 2,550 feet above sea level.
Diving in the Colorado River is much like drift diving, The currents vary in stregnth and cannot be swam against. This makes for a enjoyable "hop in and enjoy the ride" dive and during the warmer months many people ride the river in inner tubes in the same manner.
Again marine life is limited, few trout, many striped bass and carp, a mix of other fresh water fish - large and small mouth bass, pearch, bluegill, sunfish, crappie. There are fresh water clams in some areas and during the summer, crayfish are verry abundant, an make a good post dive snack.

VegasDiver

Welcome to the board. You'll love it here.
-Parrot

Hey Vegas Diver!

That's what I like about this board, and here I thought that most of your diving would be in shallow low vis ponds! WOW sounds like the lake would be interesting to explore and the river would be a blast! Welcome to the board.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom