New to Board

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BlkFrog

New
Reaction score
Hi All,

Have been reading the posts for a few weeks and this board is great. For several reasons (mainly due to deployments)I have taken the class and pool portions of the PADI Open Water certification 3 times but haven't been able to complete the open water dives (last class was 1991). After three times I figured "someone" was trying to tell me something. Now I am gonna go for it and get it done... although February in Nebraska is a little cold :) (how many snowmobile suits will fit under a drysuit anyway??). I am checking with all the local shops for equipment choices, servicing and to get a "feel" for the instructors. Does anyone have any recommendations? Any help is appreciated.

BlkFrog

Welcome to the boards....jump right in. The water's just right. You shouldn't need a snowmobile suit here.

Your idea to get to know the instructors before the course is the right way to do things. Talk to those that have been certified by the different instructors as well...see how they felt about their courses.

Cheers

Hi BlkFrog!

Welcome to the wonderful (and addictive) underwater world! Good luck in your class. Can't help you much with instructors and what-not (never even been on Nebraska land, much less in the water!) But, believe me, you'll be so excited you won't even feel the cold! (I'm guessing, anyway...never been in water below 77degrees!)

If you ever want to do warm-water diving..come to Guam!

Happy Bubbles!

Hello BlkFrog, welcome to the family. You're gonna love it around here, it's full of a wealth of good information.

As for the deployments, I know exactly how that is. Just remember that many of the places you have gone and will go to have places to dive as well. I've served onboard an aircraft carrier and hit many awesome dive ports.

There is bound to be some members from these boards whom could recommend someone in Nebraska for you. In the meanwhile, just try to get a feeling for the instructor. Don't be afraid to ask to see a cert card. The back of it should have a current teaching status sticker on it that says it's valid until 31 Dec 2001. There are some shady characters out there that are dangerous. If they take offence, they weren't the right one's for you anyway.

If they take offense, my all means please come back and tell us ... or if you have good luck tell us ... We can all benefit from the Plus's and Minus's out there.

=-)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom