New to Cayman Islands - Many Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jsgpu90

Reaction score
I have read many of the forums on this site and appreciate all the insight that you have provided. I don't mean to rehash previously asked questions, so I am going to put a different twist on them. Thank you in advance for your insight and advice.

I have been diving for several years but would in now way claim to be an expert. Since this is my first time to CI, I am not aware of the different dive areas. I will be staying in Bodden Town, but I will have a car. My questions are:
1) Is diving the east end of the island better than the other dive areas?
2) I have heard good things of Ocean Frontiers and Divers Down. Any insight on either one of those? I have also read about Wall to Wall and Dive Tech. Is one better than the others?
3) Being that I will be in Bodden Town and most of the operators aren't there, what is the commute time to Georgetown? Am I better off going to the East End or west side of the island?

Thank you again for your help.

1) Is diving the east end of the island better than the other dive areas?

Obviously, its largely a matter of personal preference. I prefer diving the North, and would put the East End in second place. Because of my preference, I tend to go to GC when the odds are in favor of my being able to dive the North Wall and stay at a place (Cobalt Coast) that is convenient to the North Wall. I would like to do more East End diving, but its not as convenient given the time it takes to get from one side of the island to the other. In short, I don't think you can go wrong if you focus on either the North or the East End.

2) I have heard good things of Ocean Frontiers and Divers Down. Any insight on either one of those? I have also read about Wall to Wall and Dive Tech. Is one better than the others?
We love DiveTech and wouldn't think of using anyone else diving the North Wall. We've heard terrific things about Ocean Frontiers and would use them for East End diving.

3) Being that I will be in Bodden Town and most of the operators aren't there, what is the commute time to Georgetown? Am I better off going to the East End or west side of the island?

I'll leave this to the locals for a definitive answer.

There are no dive operations in Bodden Town.

While great diving can be had with any operation, one vote in favor of diving east is the morning rush-hour traffic. Heading into George Town from Bodden Town in the mornings can invlove sitting in bumper-to-bumper traffic at certain times of the morning. Construction of a new road is underway and may help relieve some of this congestion eventually.

jsg I own a condo right next door to the turtle nest inn.......Seabreeze condos ,we are an affiliate property of the Turtle Nest inn.

Have fun..........and definatly go snorkeling in the back you will be amazed by the marine life back there.

John

What Drew said. Emphasis on the "eventually". :wink:

The reality is that the dive industry here is so competitive that ALL dive ops who have been in business for a year or more are very good. They have to be, to attract enough clients to break even. The significant differences are: 1) the area of the Island in which they dive; 2) the max. number of people on the boat; 3) the cost.

Back
Top Bottom