Diving Grand Cayman with Cayman University Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gregtaffet

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Spent 3 days diving with my son using Cayman University Divers. Brad runs the operation with Cole as the divemaster. They run a small boat off the west side of the island that can handle up to 6 people but we only had 4 people on the boat each day. What is really cool is they have an underwater communication system where they attach a receiver to each diver, and we can hear what they are saying while we are diving. The range is limited so you have to stay near to the guide. If you wanted to explore they didn’t restrict you as long as they could see you (we had 50-60 ft vis each day) They were very accommodating and were willing to take us to any type of diving, so we started with the Kittiwake. The ship is almost fully intact but cleaned out so that we can enter at one end of the ship and swim through the rooms. Brad gave us a guided tour through the ship and using their microphone system informed us of which room we were in as we progressed through the ship.

We did 2 dives each day. We went to multiple sites on the North and west sides of the island. We saw rays, sharks, a turtle, barracuda, crabs, and tons of small fish. The wall is still struggling with Stony Coral Tissue loss disease but many of the brain corals look like they are thriving in some areas. In the afternoons we did some sightseeing each day. Lots of good restaurants and places to stay all over the west side.

The dive narration really added a nice difference to the dive. We didn’t have to wait till the end of the dive to figure out what we saw. We also received truly white glove service. They set up all our equipment, set the tanks so we could just slip into our equipment before each dive, and then broke down everything and put it back in our dive bags at the end. It is clear they love what they do and make the experience very enjoyable.

What is really cool is they have an underwater communication system where they attach a receiver to each diver, and we can hear what they are saying while we are diving.
I'm very curious about this. Did the guide wear a full face mask so he could speak? It would be interesting to see a link to a product page showing the equipment they used. This is something special.

Richard.

I'm very curious about this. Did the guide wear a full face mask so he could speak? It would be interesting to see a link to a product page showing the equipment they used. This is something special.

Richard.
No, regular mask with something else attached to the 2nd stage regulator. This is from their website.

1699554989618.png

Very interesting. From their website, they're the only dive center in the world with this, it was adapted from military technology, and the photo shows the name 'explorer' and something written in small font at the top, but it seems part of the name is obscured. A little casual Googling didn't turn anything useful up.

The photo of the gadget is on this page (scroll down).

@gregtaffet - where did you stay, and did the dive op. pick you up there or if not, how did you get to them - drive? Grand Cayman is one of those places were people often wonder where to stay, so your experience of the place you chose may be helpful.

I’m going to be staying literally next door in Seven Mile View Villas in March and this sounds like a great operation. They seem to be cheaper than some others near by.

Thank you for your report. Interesting. You know, I don't think I would want to hear anyone's chatter during a dive. (Ever since I began diving my double hose regulator a few years ago, I don't even want to hear bubbles flowing past my ears!)

And I don't prefer diving with a guide (or being forced to stay within a guide's vision).

And I absolutely prefer setting up and breaking down my own gear.

I'm good if the dive op provides a thorough dive briefing, and then releases me to splash, solo, to dive away from the other divers on the charter.

rx7diver

Great info. Glad you had a good time. Interesting about the communication system - a good way to keep divers closer to the guide.

From their website, they're the only dive center in the world with this,
Well......and wherever/whenever Clive Cussler's books have the characters using them! :):)

Very interesting. From their website, they're the only dive center in the world with this, it was adapted from military technology, and the photo shows the name 'explorer' and something written in small font at the top, but it seems part of the name is obscured. A little casual Googling didn't turn anything useful up.

The photo of the gadget is on this page (scroll down).

@gregtaffet - where did you stay, and did the dive op. pick you up there or if not, how did you get to them - drive? Grand Cayman is one of those places were people often wonder where to stay, so your experience of the place you chose may be helpful.
We stayed at the Locale hotel just off seven mile beach. it is relatively new and it included breakfast www.staylocale.com. lots of nearby restaurants also. we rented a car. everything on the west side of the island is within 10 minute drive.

You know, I don't think I would want to hear anyone's chatter during a dive.

I'm good if the dive op provides a thorough dive briefing, and then releases me to splash, solo, to dive away from the other divers on the charter.
Understandable. Someone diving with a newly certified spouse, or their minor child, on the other hand, might greatly appreciate being able to verbally communicate.

What's curious to me is that this is a technology that ought to have a large market, it's supposedly only in use by one dive op., and dive operations aren't considered high dollar lucrative businesses, nor are they rare. If one has it, seems like at least a smattering of others ought to. We may never get the 'behind the scenes' story, but it'd be interesting to hear.

Richard.

Thank you for your report. Interesting. You know, I don't think I would want to hear anyone's chatter during a dive. (Ever since I began diving my double hose regulator a few years ago, I don't even want to hear bubbles flowing past my ears!)

And I don't prefer diving with a guide (or being forced to stay within a guide's vision).

And I absolutely prefer setting up and breaking down my own gear.

rx7diver
only the guide speaks. everyone else can only receive. If you don't want to hear stay farther away. and I am sure they would let you set up your own gear.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom