Trip Report Living The Dream Divers- Grand Cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SteveLaz

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
First off let me start by saying that I have been diving for over 35 years and by far Living the Dream is one of the best Dive opps I’ve had the pleasure of diving with. When they say “valet” service, they mean it. I was picked up at the hotel at about 7:15 in comfortable van, 10 minutes to the docks, staff was waiting who took all bags to the boat that was ready and waiting to depart. The crew sets up all equipment and we were off in no time. Boat was not crowded at all and there is plenty of room to move around. They also supply plenty of snacks, water and towels.

This trip I was with my wife, who does not dive, so I did all morning dives, 4 mornings. Now, one my favorite parts of this trip were that we were pretty much in the water for the first dive by 8:15am and I was usually back at the hotel by 11:30-noon, Awesome! All the dive sites were pretty close by. Another thing I liked was the way they you make entry into the water. You go to the back of the boat with fins and mask and sit on one of the small benches they have on each side. You put fins and mask on and the crew bring your bc and tank and help you get in it. I thought this was a very efficient and quick way for everyone to make entry! Water was gin clear, warm, full of life and beautiful coral formations.

The Captains and crew were all excellent! They were very attentive to everyone, very knowledgeable, and fun to be with! All dives were guided and the crew was very knowledgeable of the sites. Both owners, Liz and/or Gary were both great with all communications prior to my trip and responded to any questions promptly. I highly recommend Living the Dream Divers if you are ever in Grand Cayman!

Hi @SteveLaz

Where did you dive, West, North? Where do the boats leave from? What were your dive profiles, run time, max depths. How did you find the reefs with all the SCTLD? What did you see, any sharks, turtles, grouper, what else? Where did you stay, in Living the Dream Resort or elsewhere?

I have dived Grand Cayman many times 1997-2011, but not since. I have thought about going back.

Thanks

Will second this recommendation. Dived with LTD in April and it was a superb experience. Fantastic north wall dives, so many sharks, and amazing crews.

I’ll add another recommendation for LTD.

We’ve been diving for a quarter of a century all around the Caribbean. LTD is tops. Great staff, great owners, great and well-maintained boats. And priced reasonably.

We dived with them twice last year, again this spring and will be back with them this fall.

If I were to run a dive company, I’d want to run it like LTD.

Hi @SteveLaz

Where did you dive, West, North? Where do the boats leave from? What were your dive profiles, run time, max depths. How did you find the reefs with all the SCTLD? What did you see, any sharks, turtles, grouper, what else? Where did you stay, in Living the Dream Resort or elsewhere?

I have dived Grand Cayman many times 1997-2011, but not since. I have thought about going back.

Thanks
We dove on the west side of the island. The boats were docked right behind their store location that was located a few minutes drive from our hotel on 7 mile beach. From what I heard, they do use different locations depending on season and weather. My max depth for the week was 90 feet at a site Called Martys Wall which was a very cool wall dive that went down even further... The Kittiwake Wreck was a real nice dive, and another site, Bonnies Arch was cool. Only saw 1 or 2 Sharks, turtles, groupers, lots of Mutton Snapper, puffer fish, lion fish and lots more. I thought the coral formation was really cool there and didn't notice any issues with the SCTLD. This was my first time diving in the Caymans and I thought is was great diving but not the best. I think that would have to be Cozumel. Like i said this was not a total "Dive trip" for me but we loved the island and the water, which was very warm, about 85-87 degrees, and crystal clear, especially at our hotel beach, and we definitely plan on returning.

We did not stay at the new place that Living the Dream has but I met some divers who were staying there and said they are excellent. The only thing is there is no beach there which I have to have when going with my wife..lol... We stayed at Palm Heights which was excellent! A bit pricey but worth it. They are a smaller boutique hotel who really cater on you, I believe there are only about 56 rooms there. The beach there was excellent, never crowded, and the water there was remarkably clear. I snorkeled almost every afternoon there.

I am going to Cozumel next week on a dive trip with my son and a local dive opp here, so looking forward to that. Staying at Iberostar and diving with Dressel Divers. Since going so close to diving Grand Cayman, I will be able to easier assess which is better.

IMG_2703.JPEGcache-13 (2).jpgcache-12.jpgcache-10 (2).jpg

I’ll add another recommendation for LTD.

We’ve been diving for a quarter of a century all around the Caribbean. LTD is tops. Great staff, great owners, great and well-maintained boats. And priced reasonably.

We dived with them twice last year, again this spring and will be back with them this fall.

If I were to run a dive company, I’d want to run it like LTD.
I totally agree! The diving was probably the most reasonable cost of this trip! :cool:

Good to hear LTD is still going strong. My trip to Grand Cayman was in 2016, and I found them to be an outstanding dive op. Looking forward to your Cozumel trip report for comparison.

Enjoy Cozumel! My wife and I just got back from a short dive trip - my first to Cozumel and my first drift dives. We dove with Aldora and they were outstanding. I’m a later in life new diver and my only other caribbean dives were in Bonaire, but I’m looking at Grand Cayman so I appreciate the recommendation of LTD.

I am going to Cozumel next week on a dive trip with my son and a local dive opp here, so looking forward to that. Staying at Iberostar and diving with Dressel Divers. Since going so close to diving Grand Cayman, I will be able to easier assess which is better.
That's my Cozumel Combo.

I like the resort, and the folks at Dressel are pretty great, too. The best part is that the location is at the south end of the island, so you're already pretty much on top of the best dive spots. Surface Intervals are back on the beach, so you can use the washroom, grab a bite or a drink, and just chill on the beach. Much better than sitting out on a boat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom