Grand Cayman - Looking for small group/boutique dive operator.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

K-Daddy

New
Reaction score
Heading to Grand Cayman in April. Thinking of trying a different (smaller group) dive operator. I usually go with Living The Dream Divers (who I like) but thinking about switching it up, just for a change. I found 2 operators, Just Dive Cayman and Indigo Divers. I like the idea of max 6 divers even though they operate smaller boats. Would love some feedback on these 2 operators, or any others I might have missed and if I should just go with LTD Divers because I'm so familiar with them. Thanks!

Im a huge fan of Tom Shropshire at Off The Wall Divers (Off The Wall Divers). I have been diving with them for a number of years. They offer small boats and dont have a max dive time - meaning they dont require all divers to be back on the boat in an hour. Excellent service and real professionals.

Hard to beat Living the Dream. Their boats are spacious and they do not overload them with divers. The DMs we went out with in December were outstanding. No one pushed us to be back on the boat and in fact we were near NDLs most dives.
Not sure I would want to go out on a smaller boat, especially if the weather kicks up or you are caught out in the rain with limited or no shelter.

I've been out with many of the dive ops on Cayman over the years but my go to is still LTD.

Cayman University Divers. I’ve only ever had 3 other divers on board. One time it was only me (although this was low season, Sept/Oct). Brad Nelson, owner, decades of experience, heck of a nice guy.

I like Cayman University Divers and InDepth Watersports - they definitely fit your requirements. They tend to both depart from the West Bay Dock. Brad (CUD) and Nat (InDepth) are both great people who have been on the island for a long while.

Im a huge fan of Tom Shropshire at Off The Wall Divers (Off The Wall Divers). I have been diving with them for a number of years. They offer small boats and dont have a max dive time - meaning they dont require all divers to be back on the boat in an hour. Excellent service and real professionals.
Is that Tom Shropshire a pretty old guy (50's at least at this point) with a southern (Kentucky maybe?) accent, and drinks nothing but diet coke?

If so, wow! He was my roomate in the Bahamas in 1998.

Yup - That's the guy ... but I'll let the rest of SB debate you on your definition of old :wink:.

He's been living down in Cayman for ages

It doesn't get any better than Just Dive Cayman (formerly Lobster Pot), run by Mike and Steve. I have been using them since 2010, and every dive has been exceptional. They are just what you are looking for.

As you see there are tons of great options, and everyone has their faves. Sometimes it's best to look at what will give you the shortest drive to your boat. If you are staying southern SMB, then something down in George Town, if northern SMB or West Bay then someone who goes off West Bay Dock, if you are staying out east then one of the ops out there.

I really don't think there is one single best when it comes to smaller boats and a great operation.

I will second Tom with OTWD. What a standup guy. And yes, he is from a glorious bluegrass state.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom