New to Chicago and looking for a pool

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ZoCrowes255

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm new to Chicago (I live downtown) and I'm looking for a pool that I can teach in. I've already tried the parks department and unfortunately that was a no go. Does anyone know of any pools in the area that I can possibly use? I plan on teaching independently while I'm here and I'm very flexible as far as time is concerned.

I hope to see some of you guys out on the dive boat here soon. I don't know any other divers in Chicago except my girlfriend and she is not really a fan of cold water so it will be nice to meet some new people.

Welcome to the area!

There are plenty of Chicago and NW Indiana divers on here. We frequently meet up at Haigh Quarry in Kankakee or on one of the boats out of Burnham, Waukegan or Milwaukee.

Most instructors in the area use Haigh for checkouts.

I'm down in Indy, so I'm not familiar with the pool situation in Chicago. I will be at Haigh and on the Lake Michigan dive boats frequently this year though. I'll keep an eye out for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to Chicago. I don't know of any pools in the city, I use a few in the Suburbs. I and other instructors have used Haigh quarry before for the confined water dives, it works pretty good. There is a shallow beach that meets the requirements for confined water. Do you have a charter that you use here, may I recommend Windy City Diving, out of Burnham Harbor, really a top notch dive op.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom