new to scuba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Flood

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am new to scuba, I live in NY and am taking my open water at dutch springs with blue water divers (NJ) I was just wondering what to expect. do you do everything that you did in class in the pool? how do the 4 dives work?
Thanks
Floood

Welcome, Flood.

The four dives walk you through all of the skills that you learned in the pool. They also teach you to apply those skills in a real-world environment, where things are a little less under control than in a nice, well-lit pool setting. Just look in your OW dive manual, and it will list the components of each dive (I think). If not, send me a Private Message and I'll send you some more detailed info.

Just take things nice and easy, relax and concentrate on each task, and enjoy yourself. The open water dives are your real introduction to diving. And it just gets better and better with every dive.

Incidentally, you might want to stop by the New2Scuba forum. It's packed with good information for new divers, and you can get answers to most of your questions there.

Welcome to the sport and the Board. Good luck and safe ascents,
Grier

Benvenuto a bordo from the middle of Mediterranean sea. :azvatar:
and to the underwater world :fish:

You don’t do everything they teach you in the pool at every dive but the bases you learn soon or later you will have to use them. It is only matter of time…

Enjoy your dive. Both diving and this board are very addictive

ah the joys of the OW course, the days when i wasnt sure if i liked diving.

The first time i was going to go in the sea, i was so scared(i dont know why)
I also dropped a 15liter tank on my foot from quite a hight, i didnt want to say anything, because i thought they would think i was making it up, to get out if diving.
that giant stride off the pier was a killer, i coudnt swim properly, so i admitted what happened, and couldnt walk for the rest of the week.
I do make myself laugh, what a fool!

and the moral of the story is, be careful with ye old tank.

OW the 4, (or is it 5?) dives puts your new learnt skills into practice, great place to start eh (especially as its the begining)

:fruit:

Leni:
ah the joys of the OW course, the days when i wasnt sure if i liked diving.

The first time i was going to go in the sea, i was so scared(i dont know why)
I also dropped a 15liter tank on my foot from quite a hight, i didnt want to say anything, because i thought they would think i was making it up, to get out if diving.
that giant stride off the pier was a killer, i coudnt swim properly, so i admitted what happened, and couldnt walk for the rest of the week.
I do make myself laugh, what a fool!

and the moral of the story is, be careful with ye old tank.

OW the 4, (or is it 5?) dives puts your new learnt skills into practice, great place to start eh (especially as its the begining)

:fruit:

LOL. That's why you do those dives with an instructor! Some degree of disorientation is normal, as is the fear you described. I think, if we're all honest with ourselves, all of us felt the same way the first time we jumped into the big, bad ocean loaded down with dive gear and just a rudimentary understanding of what to do with it. I certainly remember the butterflies I felt on my first boat dive - out over the Cayman Salvager in Key West, a wreck that sat on the sand at 93 feet. (Post-certification dive number 9 - part of an AOW class - I don't recommend progressing to AOW that quickly, but what did I know then?). The ocean seemed dark and ominous.

Now, after lots of easy dives, and a few challenging ones, I sometimes feel more at home under water than above it. You'll get there, as long as you progress slowly, as long as you relax, as long as you let yourself enjoy every minute of every dive.

Best of luck to both of our new friends,
Grier

Howdy!

Welcome to SB!!
:happywave Put us in your computer's favorites and check in often. This is a great place to learn, compare, argue :argue: Look around our various forums - everything from New-To-Scuba to Instructors-Only to Dive Medicine.

don

BTW - Did you set up your Profile? Some ideas for your Profle might be taken from looking at mine. Click on my Username to the upper left, then click on my Profile, and see what I've done. For your's, click the [CP] in the upper left of the screen, then click [Edit Profile]. If you need any more help, PM me direct.

:D

Welcome Aboard!!!

It's addictive, but who cares?!?!?

Good friends and good info. What could be better???

P.S. - If you have not already done so, please fill out your profile.

Back
Top Bottom