New to sport and need a BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hello,

Im new to the sport and I am looking to get a BC. I want to get good equiptment that I can advance into, but I dont want to break the bank either. I know I want a rear inflated BC and I came across this one SEA ELITE TEK X BACK INFLATION WEIGHT INTEGRATED BCD
does anyone have any experience with this unit, I know sea elite isnt a huge name, and I am not sure of their quality. any advice? -Thanks

It has too much lift, too many d-rings, and too many useless clutter "features" like a chest strap and cummerbund for my taste, but my taste tends toward minimalism.

It seems to be a pretty decent BC compared to a lot of what's out there, and you can't beat the price. It will almost certainly serve you well as a new diver, and since the price is low, it should be a good choice. You'll probably love it at first, and may gradually find things you'd prefer were different. The good news is that you'll probably get more than your money's worth out of it before you've advanced in your diving to the point that you actually NEED anything different.

Most people end up replacing thier first BC with one that better suits their diving style. I would suggest trying several (rentals or ebay) before buying you end-all-be-all BC. I went thru several before I ended up with a DiveRite Transpac and Venture Wing. Come to think of it, I may just get the DSS back plate and deluxe harness.

Dave

Looks fine to me. My only suggestion is to try to find one in stock somewhere so you can try it on and maybe dive it a few times before you buy it.

Sea Elite is a "Divers Supply" name brand. I have the 2005 version of the Tek-X and I love it... I don't really like the 06-07 version as much as the one I have, but the quality of Sea Elite is very good, IMO...

Dave,

It looks like a good choice... dumpable weights, 2 chest d-rings, front commerbund..all items I like, unlike MSilva...:wink: . in MHO looks like its fine.. HOWEVER.. make sure you REALLY want a back inflate B/C. They can be a little strange when on the surface for a swim as it will push you face down. I have a back inflate B/C and when I am on a swim out, I have to lay pretty flat on my back.

Might be best to try a back inflate B/C out first... as there is also issues with the weight distribution to counter balance the back bladder.

With an AL tank, yes I would imagine a standard weight integrated backinflate would tend to push you face down as the weights are in the front and all the lift is in the back (an empty tank and the air cell).

I agree with MSilva but I too am a minimalist. Furthermore, when you see BC's with 60# of lift (that's enough for heavy doubles with stages) you should ask yourself why the manufacturer would make a BC designed for singles with twice the amount of lift than is typically needed. You generally want the least amount you can get away with. Unfortunately most newer divers don't know that and the manufacturer is making 60# air cells to target the newer diver.

I own a Seaquest Balance back-inflate BC, and have only had the face-down problem once - while in OW class I was WAAAAY overweighted and had to over-inflate at the surface. As long as you aren't overweighted, you should have no problem. Just kinda float there sorta' on your back a little. I find it relaxing :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom