New to Thailand, Need Help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubamon

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello Scubaboard!

This community has always been so helpful, I am hoping to garner some advice on diving in Thailand. I have to be in Pattaya in early November on business and I am considering adding some days to the trip to dive. We are flying in and out of Bangkok, spending about 5 days in Pattaya. So, I have lots of questions I am hoping you all can help me to answer.

• Having never been to Thailand, would we be best off to dive in Pattaya or go somewhere else?
  • If not Pattaya, where else is within reasonable travel distance that we might find good diving?
  • Can anyone recommend good Dive Ops to take some novice divers out?
  • Is Novemeber a good time of year to dive in Thailand?
  • We hope to be pretty budget conscious on this trip, recommendations for diving, transportation and lodging on a budget would be great!

Thank you all again in advance for your replies! Hope your vis is good!

---Wes

If you're in PTY and have to be there on business than it's probably not wise to move somewhere else for your diving.
If you however have 5 spare days after business than most likely you should try to dive somewhere else, Ideal would be Khao Lak and take some Similan day trips or go to Phuket or Koh Lanta. However, this would involve flying to/from Bangkok, which can be done rather cheap if booked in advance through carriers like Air Asia.

The Gulf of Thailand, Koh Tao and Samui should be in the middle of their monsoon and are not great destinations that time of the year. Koh Tao would be your cheapest option in Thailand but can only be reached by bus or train with ferry combo from Chumpon or fly to Samui and take a ferry over.

Pattaya itself is good enough however if you want to get wet. It still is the wreck dive capital of Thailand and the far islands offer some decent diving. Check out a Hardeep wreck trip as well. Mermaids or Adventure Divers would get my thumbs up.

agree with limbo,
I would also recommend Lipe Island in Satun province, Andaman sea.
there are soooo many tropical fish and beautiful corals, just 20m of the island's beaches
its often refer as "maldive of Thailand"

Pattaya diving is really quite poor compared to other locations in Thailand. If you are stuck to doing your diving there due to other commitments at least go on a trip to Samae San which is about 30 minutes drive further south. Most of the shops in the area run trips down there and transport to the boat is included.
Select your shop with care and be sure to get outlined clearly everything that is included and what you can expect from your day, many pattaya shops in my experience are prone to promising you something and then changing the destinations without notice or apparent reason.
My personal favourite shop is adventure divers, also have recently heard good reports about real divers.

Thanks for the quick replies everyone! I think I can say that we will spend 4-5 days and plan to fly somewhere from Bangkok, so I would love to learn more about the best options to do that. Flying to Phuket seems easy enough. Where else could we fly to find some great diving in November in the Andaman Sea? When I search for Koh Lanta it looks like a location far from the ocean and much closer to the gulf side, maybe I am not seeing the right location? I think we would want to take the time to go somewhere great for 4 days rather than dive in Pattaya, now I just have to figure out the best place to go. Can you dive Surin, Similan, Burma Banks or Mergui from Phuket? By day boat from anywhere else, or just via liveaboard? Thank again!

---Wes

Hi Wes, I'm late to the party (was in Florida caring for an elderly mother who hasn't got internet), but since nobody else has followed up on your latest questions, I'll chime in.
Flying to Phuket seems easy enough. Where else could we fly to find some great diving in November in the Andaman Sea?
You could fly into Krabi and go to Koh Lanta. There is some very nice diving down that way.

When I search for Koh Lanta it looks like a location far from the ocean and much closer to the gulf side, maybe I am not seeing the right location?
Perhaps the map you're looking at is confusing you. Zoom out on the map so that you can see what I'm describing below. There is a very large bay on the Andaman side called Phang Nga Bay, and you may be thinking that this bay is the Gulf. Phuket island and Krabi town are sort of gateposts at the mouth of this huge bay, and Lanta is an island a little south of Krabi. Phang Nga Bay is part of the waters of the Andaman Sea/Indian Ocean whereas the Gulf of Thailand is part of the South China Sea/Pacific Ocean. The landmass separating these two bodies of water is quite narrow in some places--it fans out northward to hold northern Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, China, etc. To the south it snakes down and bulges a little bit to contain southern Thailand, Malaysia, and Singapore.

I think we would want to take the time to go somewhere great for 4 days rather than dive in Pattaya, now I just have to figure out the best place to go. Can you dive Surin, Similan, Burma Banks or Mergui from Phuket?

You can dive all of those places if you fly into Phuket, but most boats actually depart from Khao Lak, which is a small town in the next province north of Phuket. Phuket Airport serves both Phuket Island and the Khao Lak area.

By day boat from anywhere else, or just via liveaboard?
For diving in Burma from a Thailand base, only by liveaboard. Burma trips tend to be longer than the amount of time you have available, so I would say to scratch that from the list for this trip.

For trips to the Similans, you have a choice of either daytrip boats or liveaboard boats. For daytrips, you can base yourself either on Phuket Island and expect long transfer times each day (because you have to drive for a couple of hours to get to Khao Lak and then ride in a speedboat for another hour or two), or you can base yourself in Khao Lak and jump on a speedboat daily. For liveaboards, it doesn't matter where you base yourself since you'd need to make that transfer from Phuket Island (at least from the airport) and back anyway, and most boats offer transfer services. Having said that, if at all possible, do a liveaboard--you have the opportunity to do more dives, it is time- and cost-effective, and logistically you have less planning to do for one booking on a liveaboard than you do for four daytrips with speedboats.

Thank again!
---Wes
Quite welcome!

Hey Everyone,

Thank you so much for the replies, it has been very helpful! We have made our tentative plans, looks like we will fly from Bangkok to Phuket the night o 11/6 and dive 4 days before flying home 11/11. So, now for some more specific questions:

With 4 days to dive we are looking at day trips, rather than a liveaboard. We are newer divers who want to see a little of everything. Where should we stay; Phuket, Khao Lak, Krabi... Our goal is to stay and eat cheap, spend our money diving as much as we can. Not too worried about night life, just want clean, safe and cheap lodging.

Can anyone recommend dive ops that will take good care of us? Lastly, anything else a newcomer should know, please share!!

Thank you!

ScubaMon

I almost forgot! What will water temps and visibility be like in early November? Thanks!

ScubaMon

Hey Mon, I saw these second, and they answer some of my questions. No nightlife, four days of diving....
The best diving in Thailand is in the Similans and Surins islands marine parks. The easiest way to access these for daytrips is from Khao Lak. They are relatively expensive daytrips, diving from speedboats. My favorite dive sites up there are perhaps a little more challenging than you will feel ready to confront, but there are dives that are perfect for less experienced divers, too. So that's one option. Another is to dive from Phuket and do some dives in the Phi Phi area and the Shark Point area. You can also do these dives from Krabi, though the choice of operators is more extensive from Phuket. You might like an island called Koh Lanta--very laid back--where you can do some great dives at an area called Koh Haa. (I'd leave Hin Daeng for another trip when you're more experienced.) Thailand is cheap, even with the dollar being weak, so you'll find that your funds go a really long way in terms of accommodation and meals.

Visibility tends to be great in November, and the water is usually in the low 80's.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom