New to the Cape

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

a 7mm is decent for summer diving.

I think you'll find that you need a dry suit cert to rent a suit. If you plan on diving a lot, dry suit rentals add up quick I think.

You can dive wet but I went out lobstering today wet... and I won't be going wet again! 52 degrees!!!

Yeah I know I just need to go dry... Im just trying to avoid the cost of it with a wedding coming up in September and the costs of rehearsal dinners, groomsman gifts and of course a wedding gift to the lucky lady. Then again, I did a 55 degree dive last year wet and it was anything but enjoyable.

Im just trying to avoid the cost of it with a wedding coming up in September and the costs of rehearsal dinners, groomsman gifts and of course a wedding gift to the lucky lady.

It sounds like you'll be in Massachusetts before your wedding. I had great luck buying my groomsmen gifts at the Wrentham outlets (Wrentham is on route 495). There is a SunGlass Hut outlet there and I bought them all Maui Jim sunglasses (and picked up a pair for myself).

As far as the dry suit goes, you could always keep an eye out for used ones. I don't know your size, but I found this one on Craigslist http://worcester.craigslist.org/spo/651747579.html. You could also hint at a dry suit as a wedding gift from her (I tried for a Harley - already had a dry suit, but she didn't go for it. I might have overshot).

Haha, I tried to drop the first subtle hint just the other day mentioning to her how I will need to get one so I can dive year round. She's a sharp girl hopefully she will pick up on it. Thanks for the info on the outlets too, I will definitely make a trip out there before the wedding. I also found what seems to be a pretty good deal through my home dive shop here, but being how inexpensive it is and since I dont quite know yet what to look for in a suit I wasnt sure if its what I will need or not. Check it out and tell me what you think. Great deal on SEA ELITE HDC 7MM DRYSUIT from Divers-Supply.com

I personally don't know anything about the neoprene dry suits. I know there is a crushed neoprene style a well. I own a tri-lam (DUI CLX-450 - http://www.dui-online.com/dry_clx.htm) and love it.

My concern about a 7mm dry suit would be necessary weight and thermal characteristics at depth. I was carrying about 16lbs in a 7mm 1-picece wet suit with a steel tank and now carry about 22lbs with the tri-lam using 400 gram thermals. I'm wondering if you'd need to carry the additional weight for a dry suit plus more weight for the thick neoprene. Also, with a 7mm dry suit, do you use thermals or is the neoprene itself your thermal value? Obviously neoprene is going to contract as you get deeper. I'd also be curious if any dealers in Massachusetts carry these. It might be easier dealing with any problems through a dealer rather than directly with the manufacturer. Also, try it on and see how easy it is to get in and out of. I occasionally dive alone, so buying a suit I could get into and out of on my own was a necessity.

All that being said, that is a great price for a dry suit. My 7MM wet suit was nearly $450. My dry suit cost over 4 times that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom