new uscg rule on renewing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i was told by my office that its a nother way the uscg is going to get deeper in our pockets and rember this may olny apply to river tugs they have had it out for us for a long time with more dot paperwork and new regulations comming from washington seems like every year

Try SOLAS. Not only are there new regs every year, but each one comes with a 3-10 day school and $50k of equipment.

It's policy. My wife is fighting with them now over her STCW certs, and it's all by email.....

It's policy. My wife is fighting with them now over her STCW certs, and it's all by email.....

Gotcha...so I wish they would have just mailed me a letter and not sent an email. I can understand the security issues of email (as if paper letters are secure). I guess they are just stuck between technologies, one foot in the past and the other foot not quite touching the present. Sorry to vent, it is just frustrating.

Seems odd. What issue are you trying to resolve?

It was my medical evaluation. I was under the impression that the form I sent in 18 months ago with a raise in grade application would suffice. (See below.)
They said it had to be within 12 months for renewal. I dunno, what did I miss in the interpretation? I even highlighted it on the eval form and explained my reasoning.

Med form snip.jpg

Well, the packet came back with my entire medical eval form with the highlighted section and cover letter explaining my reasoning. They rejected it as expired and put a little post it note stating: "I see the error on form, but it is 12 months for a renewal."

My internist is in the Duke System and my annual is this coming late march. I really didn't want to wait for him, and getting a new appointment was impossible. His annuals are extensive, he really investigates everything if you know what I mean. Plus they always make me do bloodwork.

So I went to the Doc in the box up the street. I hit paydirt. The Doc just moved up here from Morehead, used to dive with George in the early years and had done thousands of USCG Medical Evaluation forms for mariners. $30. Eye exam, BP and pulse, listened to my lungs and heart and 30 minutes later I am off with a perfectly filled out form. Mostly, we just talked about diving and his artifact hunting escapades.

I still will go see my regular guy in March, he is really tuned in to my health. But he always missed something on the form, or did it wrong.

Last edited:
My kind of Doctor! Not too many here in the mid-west that know the USCG physicals stuff, let alone find a good doc that actually knows diving.

tb

I just renewed and my impression is that whatever is in your file previously is not looked at. I missed a page of sea service and they came back asking me to test. I found and added that missing page and suddenly my license came back renewed. I know I had more than enough time submitted earlier through raise of grades and additions of endorsements in the last five years, but apparently they didn't look at it.

Just my experience.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom