New Vortex Website

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ianr33

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I notice that Vortex Springs has a new website.

Is it just me or does this paragraph seem to imply that it is OK for any diver to go to the gate? Personally I think it is pretty irresponsible.

"For the more experienced divers, the natural cavern is the real deal. It is 58+ feet deep and continues through a garage-sized tunnel into cave diving. The cave meanders gracefully another hundred yards or so to a depth of 115 feet, with a penetration depth of 310 feet. The tunnel is blocked by a steel grate at this point. The white sand bottom is gently rippled by the outflow from the underground spring. Pockets of air randomly collect at the ceiling, creating a sound like gentle piano tones. Guided by a permanent safety hand rail, divers may explore at their leisure along the beautiful limestone confines of this wonder of nature, confident of their way back to the surface."

Full Link here http://www.vortexspring.com/scubadiving.html

ianr33:

Is it just me or does this paragraph seem to imply that it is OK for any diver to go to the gate? Personally I think it is pretty irresponsible.

"For the more experienced divers, the natural cavern is the real deal. It is 58+ feet deep and continues through a garage-sized tunnel into cave diving. The cave meanders gracefully another hundred yards or so to a depth of 115 feet, with a penetration depth of 310 feet. The tunnel is blocked by a steel grate at this point. The white sand bottom is gently rippled by the outflow from the underground spring. Pockets of air randomly collect at the ceiling, creating a sound like gentle piano tones. Guided by a permanent safety hand rail, divers may explore at their leisure along the beautiful limestone confines of this wonder of nature, confident of their way back to the surface."

And,after that you can dive Eagle's Nest... :11:

ianr33:

Not sure if its changed since your post, but the very next line in the paragraph states "Penetration beyond the locked gate is with FULL CAVE CERTIFICATION only."

Irene:
Not sure if its changed since your post, but the very next line in the paragraph states "Penetration beyond the locked gate is with FULL CAVE CERTIFICATION only."
That means that diving to the locked gate is not considered a cave dive..?

Irene:

Same as when I saw it. To me that implies that going to the gate does not need Cave Certification,when in fact it requires Intro to Cave Certification (Depth is around 100 feet,300 feet in,no ambient light)
It really is no place for open water divers,but I am sure that lots of them do it anyway and the web site seems to condone that.

ianr33:
Same as when I saw it. To me that implies that going to the gate does not need Cave Certification,when in fact it requires Intro to Cave Certification (Depth is around 100 feet,300 feet in,no ambient light)
It really is no place for open water divers,but I am sure that lots of them do it anyway and the web site seems to condone that.
I am not sure on the exact details (penetration limits) of certification (intro vs full etc), but the moment there is no more ambient (day) light..... yes, it is a cave dive and a cave cert is needed IMO

Interesting. Well, I've had an issue with the whole hand rail thing there since I learned about it. I've been to the gate, and it is definitely at minimum intro level.

Meng, intro allows diving to 1/6s, no restrictions, minimum beginning visibility of 30', no jumps/gaps.

I don't think it's worded much differently than the old web site.

I know they aren't going to stop open water divers from going in there but I think it's wrong to encourage it AND I don't like the lights or the "hand rail". They're UGLY and encourage.

Lights and handrail or not, in theory, OW divers aren't taught what they need to know or equiped to get themselves out of that overhead should they have a problem.

Oh well, everybody has to make a living...except the ones who get killed on vacation.

MikeFerrara:
I don't think it's worded much differently than the old web site.

I know they aren't going to stop open water divers from going in there but I think it's wrong to encourage it AND I don't like the lights or the "hand rail". They're UGLY and encourage.

Cmon Mike, the handrail is great - you can pull and glide without having to touch part of the real cave!

As for this being new - Since I first went there in 2003, they have encouraged OW divers to dive to the grate IMHO. I don't personally agree with that but I don't own the spring so my opinion doesn't matter.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom