New wreck coming to Tobermory?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not on FB, but I follow boatnerd. I know in the pit of my stomach that the Roger Blough will be going to scrap sometime within the next year. I'm sure FB posters say the same thing.
I know. 😢

She reached her final destination last night right before sundown. In the background one can see the pilothouses of long gone boats.
Coming-alongside-the-waiting-slip.-Port-Colborne-ON-–-October-12-–-Bill-Salton-Jr.jpeg

Sadly it seems once again that municipal governments would rather piss away a fortune to scrap these old girls rather than have us take them off their hands. It boggles the mind.

For sure sounds like a spiteful move, sinking it in Toby so it could be enjoyed by divers for years would have been a way better use of it.

Who knows the motivation. Just ignorance I hope. Such a waste of our marine heritage.

Who knows the motivation. Just ignorance I hope. Such a waste of our marine heritage.
I wonder what the fate of the chi-cheemaun will be once she retires. Any talk of a museum ship on the eastern shore of Lake Huron should be reminded of the fate of the Norisle, Norgoma, and Keewatin.

I wonder what the fate of the chi-cheemaun will be once she retires. Any talk of a museum ship on the eastern shore of Lake Huron should be reminded of the fate of the Norisle, Norgoma, and Keewatin.
The Keewatin is being put to use topside in Kingston I believe. The Cheech should be in service for some time yet...

I could understand scrapping these old boats if the scrappers paid the owners a pile of money, but in the case of the Norisle, the tiny municipality on Manitoulin paid something like $750,000 to have her towed away. Considering we had had numerous talks with them about taking it off of their hands, it's rather perplexing.

I'd offer an opinion about "why" but in the interest of not getting sued for slander, I'll resist.

Back
Top Bottom