New Years Day - Hangover?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Inman:
...abstinence from drug use, limited or nonexistent alcohol consumption...
I never understood why anyone separates drugs and alcohol. Alcohol is a drug, period! Probably one that wouldn't pass muster with the FDA if it was dicovered today...

Roak

Rick Inman:
How many times per year can one get drunk and still be DIR?
Drinking through a 7’ straw limits the amount one can consume at a given setting.

scubamarcp:
I second that :rofl3:
I personally have seen/lived the effects of excess alcohol use and understand the importance and seriousness of this subject. I believe it effects diving safety, and so does GUE, which is why they included it in their training requirements.

No one wants to discourage those who may be considering making a lifestyle change to line up with the GUE requirements, making them a better safer diver (exercise, eating habits, etc). I guess I'm still Pollyanna-enough to believe that's what ScubaBoard is all about.

However, I respect your right to disagree.

roakey:
I never understood why anyone separates drugs and alcohol. Alcohol is a drug, period! Probably one that wouldn't pass muster with the FDA if it was dicovered today...

Roak
I think GUE seperates it because people do, and they are trying to be clear on this.

Rick Inman:
DIR material does say what it says about this.

More of a serious question, really (OK, yes, the first link was a joke :wink: )

But seriously, DIR divers drinking is "limited or nonexistent". This day might be a good day for a reality check.

This is ridiculous. The only reality check is that DIRF provisionals shouldn't be proclaiming what is or isn't DIR.

nadwidny:
This is ridiculous. The only reality check is that DIRF provisionals shouldn't be proclaiming what is or isn't DIR.
I'm not. I'm discussing the GUE text. What do you think about what GUE says, not what I say?

I agree with Rick. Most divers, especially DIR agree that smoking should be discouraged. There are so many divers, and a large portion of the general population who drink and don't like being included in the "don't do" list. It seems to be an example of following a selective list of rules. With DIR, there should be no selecting. You either follow the rules completely or you're not DIR.

Bill51:
Drinking through a 7’ straw limits the amount one can consume at a given setting.
you must be doing it wrong :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom