New Zealand: Diver accused of wasting police time reappears in court

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
From Diver accused of wasting police time reappears in court - New Zealand - NZ Herald News
A Wellington man accused of wasting police time after disappearing during a diving trip was further remanded without plea when he reappeared in Wellington District Court today.

Colin Smithies, 49, was charged after failing to return home after diving for paua off Titahi Bay, Porirua, on January 10.

A big air and sea search, costing an estimated $50,000, was launched before he showed up nearly 300km away at Clive police station, south of Napier two days later.

After appearing in court last month he was remanded for remanded for a psychiatric reported to be prepared.

Today the court was told that he was expected to make a complete recovery.

He is due back in court on March 14.

The boy who cried wolf...Unfortunately his actions means that other divers will not be taken seriously. They should take away his C-Card!
I didn't read it that he claimed to be missing? Did he? I figured he was playing hooky with a wife upset? Don't know what to make of psychiatric reported to be prepared and complete recovery?

Oh here is more info. Excerpting from http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10703291
Smithies, a senior economist for the Commerce Commission, texted his wife on January 10 to say he had found a good spot to dive for paua and was not heard from again.
and
Police believe Smithies left his car and wallet at Titahi Bay and hitch-hiked north.

Detective Sergeant Donna Howard said it was not clear what had happened to him between Titahi Bay and Clive, but he was disoriented and quite distressed when he arrived at the police station.

I still don't get it. :confused:

The boy who cried wolf...Unfortunately his actions means that other divers will not be taken seriously. They should take away his C-Card!

This actually brings up a good point. When a formerly sane and safe diver becomes mentally unhealthy the diver becomes a danger to himself and others as well. Who technically would have the ability or authority to seize a C-card?

I still don't get it. :confused:
What part do you not get? The guy sends a cell phone text to his wife that he found a good dive spot, then whether he made the dive or not, he left his car and wallet, hitchhiked, left the scene. He is being evaluated for possible psychological issues. Whether Alzheimer's*, Dementia, Amnesia, Bi-polar, whatever, or faking the disappearance is not evident.

The wife became worried when he didn't check in after the expected dive, called police, and an expensive search was done for no need. I wonder at times if we need to bill more of the yo-yos that get themselves into real trouble but there are pros & cons to that.

So this is similar to calling in his own disappearance, only he got his wife to do it - and he is charged with a local ordinance.
* Some studies suggest that some tests can indicate who will incur Alzheimer's 40 years in advance, that it really a progressive thing that takes affect over that period even tho not noticed, and even President Reagan was affected when sworn in, but there are plenty of studies to disagree.​

I'm with Bruce on this. I don't think we know much about this case, although we can fill in the blanks...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom