Newbie Dive Light Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm in Lafayette. I've been wondering how the diving would be in Toledo Bend. How's the viz? Can you do spearfishing there?

Aluminum isn't a problem if you rinse it off in fresh water after the dive just like all your other gear. Plastic is fine too but you still need to rinse it off.

Last edited:
I'm in Lafayette. I've been wondering how the diving would be in Toledo Bend. How's the viz? Can you do spearfishing there?

Not too bad @ times, dependent really on the amount of rainfall we are getting---I went over 20 years without diving there but went back last year (doing only my 'local' diving in the Gulf during that 20 year time period) a couple times---usually dive the Turbine Channel when I go up there, vis 5 to 10'---better than the lake itself--*** for tat.....

Yes you can spearfish but different rules apply for different sides ie La vs Tx....In La, catfish are considered trash fish so you can shoot them(if you're on the La side ie east of the original Sabine River that runs down TB)....On the Tx side(ie west of the original Sabine River), catfish are considered game fish so no shooting them ie ONLY carp, gar, etc....

Interesting---, back in the mid to late 80's, La. W&F let you shoot white perch & bass(had to apply to them & go by rod & reel length sizes for bass) for about 3 or 4 years during the months of June thru Sept(if I remember the months correctly) but they abandoned that back in the late 80's ie ONLY catfish now..I really think(& heard) the REAL reason they cut it out was the bass fishermen put the heat on them to stop it........You need a current La OR Tx fishing license that is good for either side--but must go by the above rules for each side.....

Below is a pic I took of a brim last summer in the Turbine Channel---the link has a few videos I took then also....

Toledo Bend Turbine Channel pictures by GEAUXtiger - Photobucket

IMG_1040-copy_edited-1.jpg

I wanted a dive light small enough to carry all the time and bright enough to use in low light. I dont have any experience with others but I can tell you that I am very happy with this one.
PTCTL.jpg

I enjoyed the pic and videos. I've never seen a bream underwater before. I had no idea they were so interesting.

I think you will find it difficult to settle on one light for all you diving.

I do think you are on track for ignoring the halogen lights. They only thing they have going for them is they are still cheaper. I still have 3, but pretty much just loan them out to my sons.
The HID's have great light, but the cost is crazy and they are so fragile.

I ended up having 3 lights that get used. I use a pistol style LED with 4C batteries from UK for a primary on night dive. It has a big, white beam. I have a mid sized PC-Lite LED I carry on all dives for poking in holes and under ledges. It still uses 4C, but it is smaller, snaps onto a shoulder strap and has a tight wite beam. It is also a very capable back-up. Lastly, I have a tiny 2-cell LED that stays in a pocket all the time with my safety gear. It is my fail-safe backup / signal light. It is so small I don't know it is there.

Take a look at the OMS headlamp (Goodman strap included). This can be worn on top of the hand freeing the hand for other purposes, is very light weight and small, LED 3 hour burn time. Costs about $53.

I recently purchased the Princeton Tec Miniwave LED as I also just began night diving. I have that as my primary and it works great, and I have the smaller Princeton Tec LED handheld model as a backup.

Both make those bugs' eyes light up quite nicely :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom