newbie needs info

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thor1:
im new to the sport and im doing research on equipment before i buy any, i would like some information and suggestions on regs bcs and dive computers (especially the computers) as to which is the best and what ones to stay away from and what to look for. i plan on using it for recreational diving now and possibly tech diving in the future. any information would be greatly appreciated.

At 0 to 15 logged dives, I would say keep renting for awhile. See if you can rent each of the 3 broad choices available to you: (1) jacket style B/C (which you are probably already familiar with; (2) back-inflation wing B/C; and (3) backplate and wing B/C. See which one you like the best.

The jacket styles are normally best for beginners.

The next step is back inflation, whether in a B/C or a backplate, when you are ready to make it.

The advantage of the backplate styles is that they take some weight off your weight belt. And some people find them to be more comfortable, although others don't.

Before you buy a computer, you may want to take a nitrox class first. Then any computer that handles nitrox would be good for you. If you are diving deeper than 50 ft, then nitrox is your best diving gas, down to 100 or so.

When people buy computers, they usually get Oceanics first. These cost the least. Why pay more than you need to?? I bought a Suunto however, wrist model.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom