Newbie question on Equipment.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sham_ba_la

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Well I finally signed up for my first class and I'm very excited about fulfilling all the classes and going diving more often afterwards, however I'm not real sure about the type of suit I should get nor what kind of fins to purchase.

I noticed there's all types from Wet suits to Neprene Suits which seem thicker is this more of a personal preference or are each used for different situations? On the fins which is better the ones which have the split in the middle or all one piece and how do I know what length to get or is this again a personal preference?

:confused:

Wet suits come in different weights, from 'diveskins' made of nylon lycra that will protect you from sunburn and scratches, to 7mm farmer john two piece rigs for diving in cold water. The temperature of the water is normally the governing factor when you decide which suit to buy.

I have a Viking Drysuit for diving in the Great Lakes and cold inland lakes and quarrys here in Michigan and Ohio, and a 3mm 1 piece 'shorty' that I wear when down in the tropics or even the keys in the warm water. Will probably have more suits as time goes by, but those two are enough for now...

As for fins, 'split' style fins are quite popular right now. I have a pair that I wear when snorkling or warm water diving that seem to work OK, but for diving with my drysuit, I wear a pair of 'turtle fins' which are not split and have very large foot pockets for the boots of my drysuit to fit in. It's all a matter of preference. I was on a dive charter on Lake Ontario a few weeks ago, and all of the other 8 divers on the boat, wore split fins. Half were diving with heavy wet suits, half with dry suits. So it is a matter of what you like, and can afford and what you are used to...

Hope this is a help. Drop a line if you have other questions....

:)

As you can tell there is a wide variety when it comes to equiptment selection. My advice is talk to other divers and ask them why they chose that particular piece. In addition, do your own research and comparisons

Your equiptment purchases should consider the type of diving you intend to do. Many divers have different setups depending on ther diving environment/temp.

In warm water, I use/have:
jacket BCD; AL80 tank; 3mm shorty or 3mm full suit; split fins; and ditchable harness weights, clear silicone mask.

In colder water, I use/have:
SS backplate/wings; Steel 112 tank; drysuit; 200gram undersuit; jet fins; no weights; black frameless mask.

In the end, I think its all a matter of personal preference.

to the diving community.

As you can see from some of the replies, there is as much 'personal preference' that goes into selecting equipment as there is technology creating it.

Hook up with a facility/individual that will enable you to try different equipment before you buy.

If you would like, I can put you in touch with someone in Hillsboro that can save you some serious cash over what other LDS in the DFW metroplex charge. I started my diving career with him in 1989, buy all my equipment from him, and drive from Colorado to Hillsboro for my IDC training. He treats you right. PM me if you're interested.

I used to live in Carrollton, have my wife's family in McKinney, The Colony, Arlington, so we get down there several times a year.

Hey jbichsel, definately interested in the place you mentioned in Hillsboro. Thanks for the welcome.. :)

jbichsel once bubbled...
to the diving community.

As you can see from some of the replies, there is as much 'personal preference' that goes into selecting equipment as there is technology creating it.

Hook up with a facility/individual that will enable you to try different equipment before you buy.

If you would like, I can put you in touch with someone in Hillsboro that can save you some serious cash over what other LDS in the DFW metroplex charge. I started my diving career with him in 1989, buy all my equipment from him, and drive from Colorado to Hillsboro for my IDC training. He treats you right. PM me if you're interested.

I used to live in Carrollton, have my wife's family in McKinney, The Colony, Arlington, so we get down there several times a year.

Sham_ba_la once bubbled...
Hi Everyone,

Well I finally signed up for my first class and I'm very excited about fulfilling all the classes and going diving more often afterwards, however I'm not real sure about the type of suit I should get nor what kind of fins to purchase.

I noticed there's all types from Wet suits to Neprene Suits which seem thicker is this more of a personal preference or are each used for different situations? On the fins which is better the ones which have the split in the middle or all one piece and how do I know what length to get or is this again a personal preference?

:confused:

As a general rule of thumb different thicknesses and styles of suits are compatible with different temperature ranges and dive durations.

As a general guideline for you these are ranges that work for me. Others may have different experiences. (temperatures in celsius) :

28+ C shorty 3mm
22-28C 3mm full body suit with cap
15-22C 7mm wetsuit with cap
10-15C semi-dry 2x 7mm or 7/5mm
< 10C Drysuit

In particular Drysuits come in a range of different materials. The 'best" material is a hotly debated topic but forerunners in the discussion are crushed neoprene and trilaminate with trilaminate having the inside track.

R..

Back
Top Bottom