Newbie questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey the Red Cross used to call their deal Advanced Beginner right? Isn't that kinda the same? It is interesting how many people get their melons frosted over advanced in the name....

I don't think anyone is overwrought about it...just chatting. I find humor in the fact that there are lots of "advanced" divers who have yet to dive except under direct supervision of an instructor or DM, and some need a fair amount of supervision to avoid hurting themselves or the coral. I suppose the value of the "advanced" cert really depends a lot on the diver and the instructor.

The OP just needs to sort out what works best for him.

I don't think anyone is overwrought about it...just chatting. I find humor in the fact that there are lots of "advanced" divers who have yet to dive except under direct supervision of an instructor or DM, and some need a fair amount of supervision to avoid hurting themselves or the coral. I suppose the value of the "advanced" cert really depends a lot on the diver and the instructor.

Agreed. I have been diving for over 20 years on a mere OW cert. Am I less "advanced" than is a diver with an AOW cert and 20 dives total? Of course not.

Am I upset about it? Not in the slightest. It's just ironic. I *might* be a bit irked if a dive op would take such a diver to places they wouldn't take me because of the difference in our cert cards, but then I'd just go find another op.

Hey the Red Cross used to call their deal Advanced Beginner right? Isn't that kinda the same? It is interesting how many people get their melons frosted over advanced in the name....

The OP just needs to sort out what works best for him.

Agreed. I have been diving for over 20 years on a mere OW cert. Am I less "advanced" than is a diver with an AOW cert and 20 dives total? Of course not.

Am I upset about it? Not in the slightest. It's just ironic. I *might* be a bit irked if a dive op would take such a diver to places they wouldn't take me because of the difference in our cert cards, but then I'd just go find another op.

Well, I didn't say it was a heavy frost, but EVERY time it comes up LOTS of people comment on it not being 'advanced.' I wasn't taking a position as much as noting how it always engenders a reaction, however slight and not upset at all and so forth.

It just interests me. I was just chatting too. Is it beginner training or advanced training? Does it advance on your training or is it more beginner training? So if you have AOW, you still don't have advanced training, but if you don't have AOW, you aren't missing any beginner training? I am so confused. But that happens.

I was in a similar situation last year with my w daughters and I. We went to Cayman, but we got our own DM. It was our first saltwater dive as we did our OW in a midwest quarry. I was more money, but it help us greatly move thru the "first time with out your instructor" jitters. It also help the DM understand our limitations for the rest of the week. We did dive with the boat after that. But we also found Dive Op that went out with a 6 pack vice a cattle boat. I am very glad that is what we did. It allowed us to gain confidence in the skills that we learned and stay within our capabilities. We also had no peer pressure real or perceived to deal with as went forward. Air consumption was the one thing that we did impact others. We found that if we got ready quickly at the site so we didn't hold people up, and then waited to get in the water last, then first out we could minimize the mismatch in air and the impact on other. Once in the water our air was what it was and we dove to the rules we were taught or boat which ever was more controlling.

Our experience was that the divers we had with us recognized what we were (new divers) and that we earnestly trying not affect them and they were very supportive - generally the case with everyone I've met in the dive world.

Since then we've logged over 50 dives, finished our AOW and have been to Utila, USVI, and will be in Bonaire (with our LDS) this fall.

We are by no means "advanced" divers in the context of experts. But when we dive with people on the boat or the quarry that are where we were a year ago, we seek to be supportive, help if asked and we always tell ourselves that was us a year ago.

I didn't understand fully the concept of diving your skill and experience level when first OW, but go slow, be open with your DM and do not accept any pressure do things you are not comfortable doing.

My 2 cents for what it worth.

To me the "advanced" in AOW just means a little advancement in training from OW. Your skill level and experience mean more than any title. For many reasons, experience being one of the top, as well as respect for others that have spent their hard earned $$ on a dive trip, I most definitely would do something private/semi private with a DM at least for the first couple shore dives and after that judge for myself if we would still need the additional help. I am not out to impress anyone at anytime, just want an enjoyable and safe vacation.

When we did our advanced in the St Lawrence, for 75% of the class the first dive of the AOW was dive #5. I have to admit they did pretty good, better than the DM in training who ended up on our instructors octo after 15mins wide-eyed..TWICE. We had to wait until our son was 12 so we had around 50 dives each, I would not have been comfortable if I had gone straight from OPW to AOW, the conditions were cool and murky.

Back
Top Bottom