Next Stage Gauges Cave Pack for Blacktip experience?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SavageSeaCow

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Anyone have experience using the NSG cave pack for black tip? It’s a little less expensive than other upgraded battery packs I’ve seen and seems to be available sooner. It’s about the same as the cost of two dewalt 12 amp batteries and charger. I’ve just never met anyone who has actual experience with them.

No, but the liability waiver/short answer quiz they require to purchase one is a hoot.

Anyone have experience using the NSG cave pack for black tip? It’s a little less expensive than other upgraded battery packs I’ve seen and seems to be available sooner. It’s about the same as the cost of two dewalt 12 amp batteries and charger. I’ve just never met anyone who has actual experience with them.
I can personally vouch for the builder’s electrical competence, though haven’t personally used this pack in a blacktip.

I can also vouch for the Next Stage Gauges 20ah battery packs. I believe I have one of his earlier packs in my wife's Blacktip scooter. The design of the pack is good and it moves more of the weight towards the nose. I've got plenty of 3+ hour cave dives with this pack.

I'll just note that I consider the owner a friend but I have no financial incentive here and paid full price for my battery pack.

TL;DR - A+ would buy again. :)

I can also vouch for the Next Stage Gauges 20ah battery packs. I believe I have one of his earlier packs in my wife's Blacktip scooter. The design of the pack is good and it moves more of the weight towards the nose. I've got plenty of 3+ hour cave dives with this pack.

I'll just note that I consider the owner a friend but I have no financial incentive here and paid full price for my battery pack.

TL;DR - A+ would buy again. :)

How easy is it to go back and forth between using this pack and using PTBs?

If you did a long dive with the pack in the morning and ran it way down, how much effort would it be to take it out, put it on the charger, and put 2 PTBs in to go for an afternoon dive?

How easy is it to go back and forth between using this pack and using PTBs?

If you did a long dive with the pack in the morning and ran it way down, how much effort would it be to take it out, put it on the charger, and put 2 PTBs in to go for an afternoon dive?

Pretty simple as in there are no modifications to the tube that need to be done with the exception of the weighting differences between the 20ah battery and PTB modules. Remove/pull the blanking plug that holds the 20ah battery in-place, plug the PTB holder back into the anderson connectors at the bottom and then you can snap-in the normal PTB packs like normal and off you go.

I sort of cheated and have an extra nose cone weighted for the 20Ah batteries and standard PTB modules so I don't have to mess with anything if I go back and forth.

Not including any sort of compass mounts, lights or random whacky 3d-printed accessories that people seem to put on their blacktips, the weighting difference is around 300grams between the 20ah pack and 2 12Ah DeWalt batteries. You'd just need to stick 300grams in the tube somewhere.

I honestly can't say I switch back and forth very often as I am usually one dive/a day person when cave diving but I have switched back and forth in a pinch when I forgot to charge my 20ah battery.

Cool. I wouldn't see myself likely to ever go back to using PTBs if I get a 20Ah pack. But, it's good to know that it is easy.

So far, I'm only using PTBs. I have 2 pairs, 2x6Ah and 2x9Ah. I 3d printed 3 custom shaped containers for lead shot that sit neatly between the top battery and the nose. My Blacktip is perfectly weighted for the 2x9Ah in fresh water. One of the 3d containers holds exactly the 260g needed for the 2x9Ah in sea water. One holds exactly the 600g needed for the 2x6Ah in fresh, and the last holds exactly the 260+600g needed for the 2x6AH in seawater.

If/when I get one of the custom packs I'll probably set up the equivalent set to quick change weighting setups.

My BT Tech came with a salt water trim plate. My scooter is weighted for fresh water. I just add the trim plate inside when I take it in salt.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom