Next Stage Gauges Cave Pack for Blacktip experience?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My BT Tech came with a salt water trim plate. My scooter is weighted for fresh water. I just add the trim plate inside when I take it in salt.
Mine came with that, but right now, that is part of the weighting for my 2x9Ah in fresh water which are lighter than the designed for 2x12Ah dewalts.

Mine came with that, but right now, that is part of the weighting for my 2x9Ah in fresh water which are lighter than the designed for 2x12Ah dewalts.

If you took that plate out and (semi-permanently - i.e. with stick-on weights) weighted your scooter for fresh water and your heaviest config, then you could have just one thing of weight to add for your lighter batteries, plus the salt water plate to add for salt water, no matter which batteries you are using.

Or, really, you could add stick-on weights to your lighter batteries, to make them weigh the same as your heavier batteries.

Then, you would not have to mess with weight at all, except to add the salt water plate, when you get in salt water.

My BT Tech came with a salt water trim plate. My scooter is weighted for fresh water. I just add the trim plate inside when I take it in salt.
Is that enough ? Mine came with that plate too.

If you took that plate out and (semi-permanently - i.e. with stick-on weights) weighted your scooter for fresh water and your heaviest config, then you could have just one thing of weight to add for your lighter batteries, plus the salt water plate to add for salt water, no matter which batteries you are using.

Or, really, you could add stick-on weights to your lighter batteries, to make them weigh the same as your heavier batteries.

Then, you would not have to mess with weight at all, except to add the salt water plate, when you get in salt water.
The weight packs that I've made are much easier to swap in and out than the plate. Just as easy as the batteries. And, right now, I mostly dive fresh.

I'll re-evaluate combos as my diving changes.

Is that enough ? Mine came with that plate too.

I think so. I have not done what I would consider a hardcore test. But, I have mine weighted so it is neutral and trim in fresh water. When I have taken it to dive in salt water, I only add the salt water trim plate.

The first few times, I noted how trim it was and subsequently adjusted which slot I use on the trim plate, to get it to trim out in salt water. I have never noticed it being especially positive or negative in salt water.

So, I'm not going to say it's dead nuts perfect, but it's pretty close.

This video is from when I dived the E M Clark in '22. John Baker was filming, so most of the scooter diver footage is of me with my BT. There are a couple of brief moments, when I stopped and the scooter does not immediately try to float up or down.

So, I'm not going to say it's dead nuts perfect, but it's pretty close.
For my purposes it doesn't have to be.

I like it to be slightly negative in fresh water caves so when I drop it to go swim it sits on the bottom rather than bouncing around damaging the cave or the scooter.

If it were neutrally buoyant it would bounce around in the flow.

For my purposes it doesn't have to be.

I like it to be slightly negative in fresh water caves so when I drop it to go swim it sits on the bottom rather than bouncing around damaging the cave or the scooter.

If it were neutrally buoyant it would bounce around in the flow.
Honestly same, but in Salt Water
My buddy dropped his DiveX CudaX and everyone freaked out, vis was ~10ft
I dropped immediately and scootered directly into the current. The Cuda was sitting right on the bottom as if we left it there, vs getting tossed around in the current / caught in the reef up current.
He bought me a nice dinner after that ;P

If I become separated from my scooter in the ocean, I would kinda rather it float up than down.

Does anyone keep a 2# weight with a boltsnap to anchor if needed?
I know some people trim scooters so they are neutral without the tow boltsnap and obviously a little negative with.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom