Night diving and light discipline

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's funny/sad. So few recreational divers understand this, to the point that I find that when you do try to signal someone with a light they ignore it because they assume that YOUR frantic light waving is the same "standard frantic light waving" that every other diver does.

One night dive I was desperately signalling my liveaboard instabuddy, trying to get his attention to see a huge octopus. I was signalling him with the TWO Sola 2000 lights attached to my GoPro mount. That's 4,000 lumens of LED power in crystal-clear Caribbean water... waved right across his light's path. So I knew he saw it. He never reacted, and never got to see his first octopus.

Back on the boat he admitted "Yeah, I saw your light... but didn't think anything of it."

Good thing I wasn't entangled and OOA...

Check out the first minute and a half of this video. I asked these guys later if they saw my light. They said yeah ... but they were busy looking for a shark ...

[video=youtube;gv55wSQKyQI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gv55wSQKyQI&feature=plcp[/video]

... good thing I didn't need their help for anything ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I generally dive clear, warm tropical waters. During the day, a powerful light can be useful for illuminating under ledges especially since my eyes are light adapted. I have found that a pretty modest light works fine at night. Since my eyes are dark adapted, I do not need a powerful beam. Also, I believe a less powerful light disrupts the creatures I look at far less than a really powerful light.

TSandM: you raise some good points!
We dive in the darker waters most often and every dive we use a light. We both have a Hartenberger which can be used from 25% up to 125%. I almost never use more than 25%. As I'm one of the hearing impaired in the other topic, my wife always call's me with a wave from her lamp. Most often just 2-3 waves is enough. I did have to talk to her in the beginning not to shine the lamp at me but in front of me. I video a lot. I use just one Sola 1200 which has three strengths. This hardly ever goes beyond the first setting.
If by accident she shines it at me directly I'm blinded for quite a while which is no fun when I was just making a movie at that moment :(

Absolutely NOTHING ruins a night dive on a tropical vacation faster than a boat load of new divers who were handed their very first rental light moments before the dive. Beams of light everywhere...and so many people think the way to get someone's attention is to shine the light directly in their eyes :)

My pet peeve on night dives here is divers who hang backup pistol grip lights turned on. These invariably will swing 360 degrees and usually point back where I'm following and blind my night vision.

In re the above comments on strobes and general obliviousness to signaling: +100

There are, however, great uses for huge and powerful lights, even in warm-water-pretty-fish (WWPF&#8482:wink: environments, most especially with newer underwater-naturalist wannabes. But- not carried by them.

I do a lot of guiding of night dives. There is certainly a use for what I call the "59 Chevy Headlight", in my case, the UK1200R (antique) movie light. You can fry fish with this critter, it was designed for illuminating for (actual) motion picture film cameras. It will melt if used out of the water, fact.

I have my DM ghost overhead, maybe 30' above us in "the group". He is directed to shine the light downwards, above us. This puts a very gentle glow on the reef structure, so slight that critters are really not prone to flight. I call it "streetlight", but that overstates the mild illumination.

This light is also useful for night wrecks. I send the DM ahead to illuminate the upcoming wreck by gently "painting" it as my divers approach. This has shown to alleviate the predictable stress factor of encountering a "creepy wreck" out of the blackness.

He then leapfrogs past us and gets below the outline of the wreck and illuminates it from the backside. This offers visual recognition and gives the 3D view of the wreck, again a calming thing- plus an implied invitation to "come this way" and explore further.

I also have him do this as we approach prominent Coral "heads" that loom up and often can cause irrational anxieties, most especially with large overhang structures.

In the dive briefing, I tell participants of a special signal that means, "look for the DM". At this time, he has taken up a pre-arranged position and marks the rally point by using the super bright light as he points it at his torso and fins. (light colors and reflective accents are a plus) You can usually see this "illuminated target" from 100+ feet distant, the crowd then make their way to that pre-arranged point in the plan.

In the shallows, the Atomic Bomb Lights are still very useful as well. If you can coach the group to stay in a general cluster, try pointing the light at the surface and let the reflection of light gently illuminate the bottom. This works great in 4 to 15fsw. It is not only rather pretty, but it simply will not spook critters. Different angles against the surface direct the light close-in or further out. Please try this very effective trick- it works well.

At some point in most WWPF™ dives, I will set the monster light in the sand and point it straight up, a shaft of light in the water column. Gathering everyone around, after pre-dive briefing that encourages patience and observational skills, the critters begin to appear. Many are almost clear, but only visible by their outlines highlighted against the lateral blackness of unlit areas behind. Another example of "the brighter the better".

It's all right there, if you put enough light in the water. Patience required.

These examples of using a really bright light source are excellent tools for introducing newer divers to night diving, allaying anxieties, and making it easier for them to understand their position versus natural and man-made structure. I agree, bright lights used without a plan are counter indicated for WWPF diving, but there are legitimate applications.

Never say never. Bright lights do have a use.

But... not here:

I have visited this individual at night over a hundred times. I have watched him under the chine of a wreck (at CCV), while feeding under my very dim purple LED light. When other divers eventually arrive in the area with their standard small dive lights, they may be shadowed high above me, 30' above on top of the deck of the wreck, casting no direct light on him, but he fairly quickly senses that and retracts. It doesn't take much.

Contrarily, if you slowly ease up the wattage on an Octopus, it will begin to use your light to enhance it's tactile probing to include his normal daylight abilities- eyesight. Increasing power slowly is an interesting experiment- as long as your dive buddies are in on the program. You can change the light output of any light by using various finger spreads over the output beam, it's called "shuttering".

Same with Squid. If you illuminate them, they might not like that. If you shine the light on your extended hand, you might have a new playmate. I have slowly coaxed them towards my mask faceplate by squaring the glass directly at the Squid, and then slowly adding more light to the underside of the Squid. He sees himself in your carefully positioned reflective mask glass, and now he's sure he has a new best friend. Very commonly, you can entice them to touch their reflection in your mask faceplate. At this point they are universally oblivious to the quantity of light.

On guided night dives I often carry 5 to 7 different light sources (or my DM has them). Everything from Red Laser Pointers (good for daylight, too), tiny small output flashlights, Cyclops BlackWater, basic small Light & Motion rechargeables, the UK1200R, a converted flashlight case to house a cheap-o UV-LED, all that kind of ditchable weight accessories. (one prominent dive expert looked at me and said I looked like a Japanese Astronaut. I'll take that as a compliment?)

So, maybe light, and sometimes a lot of it- can be your best tool, even for WWPF™.

---------- Post added October 13th, 2014 at 03:49 PM ----------

Check out the first minute and a half of this video. I asked these guys later if they saw my light. They said yeah ... but they were busy looking for a shark .

The 00:59 mark was telling. Though- I've never seen a Shark in a junk yard before.

All 7 minutes of your encounter were captivating... As was your controlled breathing rate!

Last edited:
The 00:59 mark was telling. Though- I've never seen a Shark in a junk yard before.

All 7 minutes of your encounter were captivating... As was your controlled breathing rate!

Sad about the junk, but this particular spot is situated just beyond a public boat ramp ... and a lot of boaters seem to think the ocean is a gigantic garbage can ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Interesting (as always!)

While I am well aware that certain critters are sensitive to my video lights at night, I personally feel that in my case my purpose in taking video at night is to bring home footage that shows non-divers about the life in our local ocean. It is a trade off. I try not to use bright lights up close, and usually run my Solas at lowest to at most medium power. There are a few critters (often fish in the sea chub family for some reason) that are obviously blinded temporarily even by this. There are some that immediately retreat from the light like the unidentified light-sensitive sea cucumber I've filmed or do so more slowly like the Coronado sea urchins and abalone.

Of course there are also those critters that benefit from the video lights at night. Sadly I have seen a few of my subjects (blacksmith, cardinalfish, small treefish, octopus) munched by hungry kelp bass when they spot them in my lights. Other divers have had sea lions follow them and feed on fish highlighted by normal dive lights.

Doc, that post was fascinating! Lots of ways to use a very bright light to enhance a group's experience.

But I wrote this post after doing a night dive with a mixed bag of people, lights waving everywhere, little to no buddy team cohesion, and one danged big video light that squatted on the best critters so that you couldn't even go over to look at them without losing your night vision completely for several minutes. I contrasted that with diving at night at home, which we do all winter, with people who know what to do with lights and how to be polite with them, and I thought maybe a post offering some information might be useful.

Reactions: Doc
My pet peeve on night dives here is divers who hang backup pistol grip lights turned on. These invariably will swing 360 degrees and usually point back where I'm following and blind my night vision.
Why are you diving near them? Get in first, swim away quickly and then come back last.

---------- Post added October 14th, 2014 at 07:46 PM ----------

We both have a Hartenberger which can be used from 25% up to 125%.
125% ??? Sounds like it goes all the way to eleven. Up to eleven - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

---------- Post added October 14th, 2014 at 07:51 PM ----------

I generally dive clear, warm tropical waters. During the day, a powerful light can be useful for illuminating under ledges especially since my eyes are light adapted. I have found that a pretty modest light works fine at night. Since my eyes are dark adapted, I do not need a powerful beam. Also, I believe a less powerful light disrupts the creatures I look at far less than a really powerful light.
I agree that there has been an escalating "lumens race" lately. The more lumens the better. You can never have too many lumens!

Just enough light to see the creatures is sufficient. Especially for clear water tropical divers. More than that makes things worse. I normally just use the target lights on my camera strobes. Sometimes I turn one of them off.

Back
Top Bottom