Night diving, high particulate, low visibilty videography rig. Suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Our conditions up here in Alaska are similar - I don't night dive regularly but there's often extremely little ambient light below 70' or so. That usually happens during the summer months, when a heavy layer of particulate (usually an algae bloom) is suspended in the water at 20' or so and blocks the majority of the light from coming down. At any rate, I think we have roughly the same goals and conditions, so hopefully this is of some use to you:

These photos were taken with a handheld GoPro Hero 3 (no tray) and a 21W HID Primary Light with the beam at full flood, or with natural light. I borrowed the camera and this was one of my first attempts using a GoPro, but the results convinced me to buy my own and pair it with video lights:

IMG_5925.jpgIMG_5924.jpgIMG_5926.jpgIMG_5927.jpg

The following are montages I created from video stills with a GoPro Hero 4 Silver and the SRP Light/Tray combo. I also make pretty regular use of the PolarPro macro lens.

Feb 14th.jpgIMG_4900.jpgIMG_5553.jpgJan 3.jpgJan 1.jpg
IMG_5901.jpgIMG_5796.jpgIMG_5724.jpg4-11-2015.jpgMar  14.jpg

I'm still trying to tweak things, but this is the best I've been able to manage so far in cold water with the GoPro. I'd like to try a better macro lens or a stacked combo and see if I can sharpen up the macro video/images a bit, but I'm generally pretty happy with the performance of the SRP (Archon) video lights and this setup. I'd like to move to something better, but I'm not certain I'd get as much value out of it as I have the GoPro.

-B

Last edited:
FWIW: I use 4 of the DRIS impact stubbies.

In addition to my GoPros (I shoot 3D when I can) I've been using a Kodak SP360. It's an odd little wide angle camera---180 degree field of view! The super wide angle can be distracting in the daylight, but on night dives the lit region focuses your attention to the subject nicely. It also minimizes back scatter. It combines nicely with the GoPros, IMHO.

Here's an example in 20-30 foot viz...there are other examples on my YT channel:

I use a straight DIY tray so the lights fall within the SP360's field of view. A V shaped tray with the camera located in front of the lights would be better, of course.

Back
Top Bottom