Niihau Season is here and it's awesome already

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AquamanKauai

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Aloha,

For those of you divers who may be lucky enough to be visiting Kauai this summer you should strongly consider a trip to Niihau. The first two weeks have been amazing with sightings of Bottlenose dolphins, Pilot whales, Humpbacks, Spinner Dolphins, Manta and Eagle rays, and a few different species of our local sharks! The water is warming and the visibility has been spectacular on most of the sights! Lots and lots of HUGE Bluefin Trevally (Ulua) are already present as well. If you are coming to the island and want any info on diving Niihau or any other locations this summer I'd be more than happy to help out in every way possible.

Aloha and best of wishes from Kauai
A

Niihau was one of my best diving days ever, and can't wait to get back. We will be there end of August and am looking forward to a return to Niihau & Lehua Rock. I think I dove with you in 2008 when you were with Fathom Five, but not sure, check out attached pics. Who are you with now? Looking forward to more great diving.

Aloha,

DSC_6287.jpg

DSC_6358.jpg

DSC_6504.jpg

DSC_6470.jpg

Aloha,

For those of you divers who may be lucky enough to be visiting Kauai this summer you should strongly consider a trip to Niihau. The first two weeks have been amazing with sightings of Bottlenose dolphins, Pilot whales, Humpbacks, Spinner Dolphins, Manta and Eagle rays, and a few different species of our local sharks! The water is warming and the visibility has been spectacular on most of the sights! Lots and lots of HUGE Bluefin Trevally (Ulua) are already present as well. If you are coming to the island and want any info on diving Niihau or any other locations this summer I'd be more than happy to help out in every way possible.

Aloha and best of wishes from Kauai
A

Thanks Aquaman,

I will be on Kauai in August, dives sound fantastic. Could you please recommend an operator, maybe yours?

Good diving, Craig

I am playing in the water these days with Sea Sports Divers in Poipu and LOVING LIFE! The water/dives at Niihau have been AWESOME! I went again yesterday and WOW was it awesome! I would dive there every day if I could. Truthfully, I don't think I could love that place more. I am counting the minutes til Saturday when I can go again. Please feel free to use me as a resource for your trip diving and otherwise! Hope we can share some great dives again!

Aloha and best of wishes from the island!
A

For those of you following along I forgot to mention TINKERS BUTTERFLY FISH! If you are family with this rare critter you know how big of a deal it is here in Hawaii! For the first time in my diving career I saw a GROUP of 5! I truly couldn't believe my eyes. It was at depth as you would expect so easy on the narcosis jokes (I KNOW HOW YOU INSTRUCTORS ARE - I AM ONE AFTER ALL). Quite possibly the highlight of my year thus far. The group was hanging out in black coral at what I estimate to be 150 ft when a pair slowly swam up the wall to me at about 125. Very cool stuff.

On the most recent tour I was able to point a pair out in the same location to a pair of my divers though we viewed them from 110 feet.

On this same trip Tues we also had the best seal moments of the early season. A solo on the first dive and a pair chasing each other around on our second dive. The other highlights included numerous eagle rays and BOTTLENOSE DOLPHINS!

If you make it to Kauai you just have to experience Niihau as a diver! I love that we have through August to have these trips.

Best wishes to the board and those headed our way! Keep the messages coming!

Aloha

I must agree with Anthony...Ni'ihau is one of those dives that if I could do it everyday, I would. There is no other dive in Kauai or Hawaii quite like it. Here are a couple of pictures that Doug from Aquatic Adventures took -

We didn't get to see one of those Tinkers, but we still had an awesome time.

I am guilty as charged! Till I'm six feet under I will advertise, suggest, encourage, etc... anyone who EVER has a chance to visit this amazing island to consider a trip to Niihau. If you are snorkeling with Capt. Andy's, Holo-Holo, or Blue Dolphin - YOU SHOULD SEE NIIHAU!
If you are diving with Linda's Marsh's Crew at Bubbles Below, George Thompson's crew at Fathom Five, or Marvin Otsuji's crew at Sea Sports consider (strongly) Niihau. See I even put my dive company last :wink: . I started diving Niihau 14 years ago and it made want to live in Hawaii. Just like every other DM who leads tours at the islands of Niihau and Lehua - I long for each season and every trip. Seems pretty genuine to want to share our love for such an amazing place with others. That is why I am a divemaster/Instructor here beyond all else.

To those who have actually been there you understand. To those of you who will make it out there topside or below this summer or in future summers - you will understand this.....

NIIHAU IS AWESOME! YOU WON'T FORGET IT! IF YOU WALK AWAY FEELING OTHERWISE - I WOULD BE SHOCKED!

Sorry if this is misunderstood nshorez. Come dive with one of us some day and you'll start advertising for people to visit the island as well. If you love diving and are looking out for the best interests of other divers and their underwater experiences there just isn't really another way.

Aloha and best of wishes to all from the middle of the ocean!

p.s. To those lucky enough to have been on the Saturday Niihau run with Sea Sport Divers or Bubbles Below ... HOW BOUT THAT AMAZING WHALE SHARK!!!!! I think I can die and go to heaven. Pics will be posted soon by the Oahu dive club both on the board and YOUTUBE.

any local dive clubs/groups in kauai?

i'll be there mid June and I'm looking for people to beach dive with. And of course I'll make my way to Ni'ihau :D

No dive clubs to speak of but when you book your dives with the shop of your choice you can ask if any others are looking for dive buddies. I think a recent post was is the same spot for a June visit. Give me a day or two and I'll check. Two primary shore dives here - one north and one south. I'll send you detailed info on both. If you are looking at tunnels and consider a guide - go with Jeanette Thompson at Fathom. She is the guru of the north shore and knows it better than anyone. More coming... Give me a pm with anything I can help you with while planning your Kauai trip!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom