Nikon 12-24mm

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The 12-24 used to be the "go to" wide angle lens for Nikon UW users, but seems to have fallen out of favor compared to the Tokina 10-17 and the Nikon prime fisheyes. It is rectilinear, so that's an advantage, but a lot of people seem to feel that it's a bit soft around the edges. Might be an advantage for narrower shots and versatility, but it's also expensive.

Adm. Linda has the 12-24, and it works well with here D40 and Aquatica
housing. She does have the 8", not 6" port.

Nikon has replaced the 12-24 with the 10-24.

There's a Sea and Sea housing for my D300 on its way.
I'll set up for macro first, and then probably go for
the 10.5 when I go wide-angle. The 10.5 wasn't an
option for Linda because it doesn't have a motor.

Chuck

I have the 12-24 and it ROCKS!

PM2_1120.jpg

The 12-24 is a pretty good lens, especially for shooting wide angle subjects w/ strait lines. (like wrecks, etc).

I recently photographed the ruins at Yonoguni and made the mistake if taking the Tokina 10-17mm fisheye and ended up with too much distortion in my photos:

790566996_2VmuF-M-1.jpg

It's also good for wide angle subjects that just need a little more reach.

I use a +2 diopter to help the corner sharpness, but depending on teh size of your dome, you might get away with just stopping it down a bit.

I've switched to the 10-24mm now, and like it a little better only because it's wider. the build quality isn't as good, but that doesn't matter much for underwater.

either is a nice compliment for the fisheye for the times you need a little more reach, or want to avoid the distortion.

john

I've been using the 12-24 with a Nexus FP170 port (6.75" dia) & +4 diopter to sharpen edges. Works great. Sometimes the 10-17 is too wide or I don't want the fisheye effect, so I still use both lenses depending on subjects.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom