Nikon 60mm f/2.8 AF-D or the Nikon 60mm AF-S G...?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Haven't heard it from others, and I haven't used the AF-S, but my AF-D hunts something fierce on my D300, slamming from minimum focus to infinity and back if there's any kind of crap in the water. I've used it with and without focus light. Hunts less often with focus light, but if the water is crappy, it still hunts like a bloodhound.

Good to note. Thanks Larry.

Haven't heard it from others, and I haven't used the AF-S, but my AF-D hunts something fierce on my D300, slamming from minimum focus to infinity and back if there's any kind of crap in the water. I've used it with and without focus light. Hunts less often with focus light, but if the water is crappy, it still hunts like a bloodhound.

I have noticed this more above water than I have below water... I did end up going with the AF-D and I am very pleased with the results so far. I do appreciate the input but the decision was made and one that I am quite comfortable with. I did get the manual focus ring to see just how well my buoyancy is...! However it was back ordered for sometime and just received two days ago... Auto focus was fine but at times missed my point of aim but then again, that could be the users fault!!! :) Time will tell but so far, very pleased with the "D"...

Thanks again for the input as I hope others might find this useful information!!!

lee

Larry: Adm. Linda has the AF-S and I have the AF-D. They both hunt. The best thing I've found is to get the focus light out over the subject so the subject is cross-lit from above. This gives more contrast for the AF sensors to lock in on.

Chuck

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom