Nikon Coolpix 5700 as an underwater camera?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The DS-50 should work fine. Check with Ikelite first because there is a note on their site about substrobes made before a certain date needing a modification if used with the Nikon cameras.

The 8X zoom is very nice on that camera. It would be nice if the Olympus had the features it has along with Nikon's 8X zoom wouldn't it.

The Nikon display is smaller than the olympus but it also more versatile for above water use, It also flips to be protected when not in use.

The Nikon battery pack option is too big to fit in the Ikelite housing.

I do like the Ikelite double handle used on the housing for the Nikon. I will probably invest in a double handle for my Housing for the Olympus at some point soon.

I just checked digideep.com and see that there are 3 housing options now available for the Nikon now, I am not familiar with the other 2 manufacturers though.

Good luck with your decision. Both cameras are nice.

Well, I got it - (the 5700) and at least as far as a land camera is concerned, I love it! It was relatively easy to figure out how to do everything - like displaying the pictures on the Television, using the cardreader, etc...

I see what you mean about the battery life. I think the motors for the zoom eat up a lot of energy. However, it's nothing I can't live with. I've already got a macro shot of some plumeria booms in the back yard sent off to be blown up. I want to compare the quality of a service (ofoto by Kodak) with simply printing them on my InkJet with high gloss paper. They came out surprisingly well! But I still want to compare.

I did digital imaging work back when 16M of RAM cost about $800 (so photo-quality digital was a dream still). This is my first foray into digital since then, and so far, I'm pleasantly surprised by how far things have come!

Haven't got the housing yet - stay tuned.....

We'd like to hear from more Nikon digital users...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom