Nikon D5100

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The D5100 hasn't been out for long. It takes some time for the housing manufacturers to get their hands on a camera and then construct a housing for it. Given the fact that the combined costs of the ports, housings, lenses and strobes are substantial, I don't know if it makes sense to go with a D5100. The D5100 lacks its own focus motor which is important. Another thing it lacks (or so I understand) is a dedicated ISO button. It can be really handy to adjust your exposure in manual mode by adjusting the ISO some. Having ready access to the ISO control means that you can control, ISO, Fstop, shutter speed and flash intensity to adjust your exposure. I would think that a D90 or a D7000 both of which have the ISO button would be better candidates for underwater photography.

For housings, Ikelite makes the most inexpensive quality housing. It does have some drawbacks. Ikelite's housings tend to be large and their controls less dialed in. The way Ikelite makes a housing is take a standard box and fit in the connecting controls to the camera from there. The aluminum housing manufacturers have to custom make each and every housing so their housings cost twice as much as Ikelite. When you are buying lenses, strobes, ports, focus gears, focus lights etc, the more expensive housing might not add that much to the price of the system. So it is something you might want to consider.

Hey guys not to bring an old thread back from the dead but I am considering picking up a Nikon D5100 as an entry level DSLR camera. I will be using it for traveling and diving. I heard some concerns regarding the camera not having a distinct ISO button. Does anyone use the D5100 that may have any feedback on the matter?

Hey Nikon users!

I also own a Nikon D5100 and for my upcoming diving holiday in Panama (starting mid April) I consider buying an underwater housing for it. As the Ikelite housing + port is 300 Euro more expensive than the Nimar housing (including a port) I wonder which underwater housing would you recommend?

Do you know any disadvantages of the Nimar housing?

On Nimar's website it looks like the housing does not provide enough buttons to control things like camera mode (A, S, P, Auto, effects) and that it's not possible to use all of the menu buttons on the camera: http://www.nimarshop.com/35-164-thi...5100-zoom-18-55-mm-nikkor-black-essential.jpg
Can anyone say how good you can operate the D5100 with the Nimar housing compared to the more expensive Ikelite housing?

Hope to hear from you soon.

Best regards, Jan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom