Nikon D70 vs. Canon300D(10D)..?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubatooth:
that last line makes no sense at all i saw so many canon L series lenses because of the 1Ds, hmm dont know how to break it to you but PJs dont use the 1ds most are using the 1D or in the case of the superbowl SI was using the 1D Mk11 becausethe buffer could do 8.5 fps for 40 frames.

also why is figuring out the focal length crop mental gymastics ? because just like tax i can calculate it on the fly you know like a 70-200 L IS with my 35 mm its those length and then on a 10D its 112mm-340, on a 1D (or mkII) series its 91mm-260mm

the people who use the 1Ds are portrait studio photographers or people who do landscapes, where as PJs need rapid advance drives and fast AF. and personally its not the gear that makes the photograph its the person holding it.

I am surprised you would make such a fuss over a single sub-model number. The point was, it's the resolution of the body that drives the lens choice for some.

Your point about the "person holding it" is of course true. A former colleague won NPPA photographer of the year with a disposable camera. It's all in the eye of the shooter, and being in the right place.

I don't know about you, but I compose by looking at the scene, and mentally cropping by my memory of what a lens does. I know what lens to use before I reach for it. The focal length factor mental-multiplication-thing is an extra step that I don't need. I suppose it will dissappear, with use, when I stop flopping between formats; it's just been burned in by 2 miles of film per year. Obviously this does not seem to affect you, so my hat's off to you.

Since your post piqued my interest, I made a few quick calls to all the shooters I used to work with. This covers 4 newspapers and a magazine now. They all shoot Nikon D2H's or D100's, with a few old D1X's and D1H's. They still use film for high-res assignments or for artsy stuff.

BTW, where did you purchase your Canon 1D MkII from? I cannot seem to find it available from any vendor and I'd love to get my hands on one to try.

All the best, James

fdog:
Nikon saw this coming, and froze the size of the sensor at what is now their "DX" sensor. This is great for an optical standpoint, but for now, the resolution is not there. They are obviously counting on Moores' Law to bring the pixel count up.

Yesterday, I was talking to a friend of mine who did his PhD on CMOS image sensors. He said that 2/3 of 35mm full frame (which is how big DX is) is more than enough area for any kind of reasonable resolution with good noise performance.

If he is right (and I believe him) then the sensor size is not the limiting factor. Thus it seems that it's the processing and storage time that limits the number of megapixels for DSLR's, not the area of the sensor.

BTW, he also told me that due to the nature of CCD readouts, the latency will kill it if it becomes much bigger (not sure if it's #pixels or physical size-probably both) than now. Maybe that's one of the reasons that Nikon is starting to introduce LBCAST sensors.

I think I'm going to buy the Nikon D100 with a Light & Motion Housing.

Good choice..?

fdog

i wish i had a MkII, i have seen one it person at a canon event but havent been able to hold or play with it, but for right now it doenst really matter as being a college student keeps the mkII in the dreaming category.

i was referring to the mkII used by sports illistrated for the super bowl, as there was a full length article on the event ( i will have to dig it up, and post it).

FWIW

tooth

I am a bit late posting regarding this topic but I was away this past week. I went through similar process a month ago about 300D vs D70 and ended up choosing D70. The biggest benefit of 300D I think is the ISO100. D70 at ISO200 is pretty good but from what I see, 300D at ISO100 has a little bit less noise. However, the reason I choose D70 is mainly because of lens choices for Nikon. Not that the lens itself is neccessarily better but Nikon line offer lens that is a bit more useful for underwater photography, I think, especially the 12-24mm and 80-170mm macro lens. Sigma did released a 12-24mm lens for Canon but I have not seen much discussion about it and the lens seem a bit big and migth create some problems with current port/zoom gear on most housing. Picture quality wise, I think they are very close but D70 does offer a few more flexibility and function over 300D.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom