OM-1 possible configurations, what's the right one for me?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FedeQ

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi, I hope you can help me. After some helpful takes from some of you, plus a lot of thinking and digging around I arrived to a conclusion.

To recap:
I want to upgrade my setup. I currently shoot with an Olympus TG-6, I have 2 Sola video lights and a Backscatter Mini Flash as well as a M52 Wide Angle Lens.
I also have an Olympus OM-D E-M1 mk II and several Olympus lenses for topside photography.

Photography is not only a hobby, but also a small part of my work (topside), Olympus cameras suit me very well for the balance between portability, image quality and flexibility.
So even though there may be other cameras better suited for UW photography, after much thought, I'm getting the OM Systems OM-1 to use both topside and underwater. (I don't want the burden and expense of two camera systems)
I would love to be able to settle for the OM-5 because of the size, but the new sensor with 10 bit video at 4k 60fps, and AI detection AF are very important to me.

Having said that, I would keep my kit as small and travel friendly as possible. I'm also used to being able to shoot wide angle and macro on the same dive, or at least would like to do it on different consecutive dives without changing ports (small boat). I don't know if it's in any way possible to do that with the OM-1. Is it?

If it is, how much would the image quality suffer if I use a normal lens (which one) with a wide angle wet lens and a macro diopter? (which ones?) instead of the full "several lenses, ports and domes"? How less wide and less macro this solution would be compared with a full kit?

If not, or not advisable, could 2 setups like this work?
1) wide angle / wide angle close focus / fish portrait
2) fish portraits / macro
So I keep some flexibility?

I can live without doing over/under photos, so as to not need a big dome. But I really like the macro possibilities I get with the TG-6.

On the housing side of things my budget allows for either the Ikelite 200DLM/B or the AOI UH-OM1, or something in that range. I'm leaning towards the Ikelite One because of its deeper rating, but I'm not sure.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Just in case, lenses I already have (I won't limit myself to these lenses, I would definitely buy the right lens for my needs)

M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm F2.0
M.Zuiko Digital 25mm f/1.8 Lens
M.Zuiko Digital 45mm f/1.8
M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm f/2.8 Macro Lens

M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm f/4-5.6
M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO
Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm

Can you also recommend a couple of strobes that are an improvement but match this setup, so not too big/heavy or too expensive?

I really need to find a balance that's good for me in terms of image quality and portability/flexibility.

I know some of you like to geek out with these type of things, I'm counting on you !

Thanks in advance for your help.

Several questions here. I have the OM-1 in the AOI housing. Using the 30 macro lens and the Nauticam MWL1 (yes it is $$) you can do all you want. Similarly you can use the 12-50 with a dual flip adapter and a CMC type diopter and the AOI wide adapter. As for strobes, I have a room full but usually shoot the MF-2 from Backscatter for both macro and close focus, but for true wide I will use the Z330. Not much if any quality degradation if you use "good" wet lenses
Bill

Several questions here. I have the OM-1 in the AOI housing. Using the 30 macro lens and the Nauticam MWL1 (yes it is $$) you can do all you want. Similarly you can use the 12-50 with a dual flip adapter and a CMC type diopter and the AOI wide adapter. As for strobes, I have a room full but usually shoot the MF-2 from Backscatter for both macro and close focus, but for true wide I will use the Z330. Not much if any quality degradation if you use "good" wet lenses
Bill
Thank you for your answer, I'll check that out !

Bill
Hi Bill, So sort of hijacking this thread a little, but it is sort of relevant to the OP topic.....What are your thoughts on the AOI housing for the OM-1?

Actually, disregard that last post. Just found your write-up. Sorry, the consequences of the search function being disabled.

Hi, I hope you can help me. After some helpful takes from some of you, plus a lot of thinking and digging around I arrived to a conclusion.

To recap:
I want to upgrade my setup. I currently shoot with an Olympus TG-6, I have 2 Sola video lights and a Backscatter Mini Flash as well as a M52 Wide Angle Lens.
I also have an Olympus OM-D E-M1 mk II and several Olympus lenses for topside photography.

Photography is not only a hobby, but also a small part of my work (topside), Olympus cameras suit me very well for the balance between portability, image quality and flexibility.
So even though there may be other cameras better suited for UW photography, after much thought, I'm getting the OM Systems OM-1 to use both topside and underwater. (I don't want the burden and expense of two camera systems)
I would love to be able to settle for the OM-5 because of the size, but the new sensor with 10 bit video at 4k 60fps, and AI detection AF are very important to me.

Having said that, I would keep my kit as small and travel friendly as possible. I'm also used to being able to shoot wide angle and macro on the same dive, or at least would like to do it on different consecutive dives without changing ports (small boat). I don't know if it's in any way possible to do that with the OM-1. Is it?

If it is, how much would the image quality suffer if I use a normal lens (which one) with a wide angle wet lens and a macro diopter? (which ones?) instead of the full "several lenses, ports and domes"? How less wide and less macro this solution would be compared with a full kit?

If not, or not advisable, could 2 setups like this work?
1) wide angle / wide angle close focus / fish portrait
2) fish portraits / macro
So I keep some flexibility?

I can live without doing over/under photos, so as to not need a big dome. But I really like the macro possibilities I get with the TG-6.

On the housing side of things my budget allows for either the Ikelite 200DLM/B or the AOI UH-OM1, or something in that range. I'm leaning towards the Ikelite One because of its deeper rating, but I'm not sure.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Just in case, lenses I already have (I won't limit myself to these lenses, I would definitely buy the right lens for my needs)

M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm F2.0
M.Zuiko Digital 25mm f/1.8 Lens
M.Zuiko Digital 45mm f/1.8
M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm f/2.8 Macro Lens

M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm f/4-5.6
M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO
Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm

Can you also recommend a couple of strobes that are an improvement but match this setup, so not too big/heavy or too expensive?

I really need to find a balance that's good for me in terms of image quality and portability/flexibility.

I know some of you like to geek out with these type of things, I'm counting on you !

Thanks in advance for your help.
So I just found your post. One thing to keep in mind is that if you decide to go with the EM1-3 (instead of the OM-1) you COULD get the AOI housing that would work with both your Em1-2 and EM1-3. this way should anything happen to your EM1-3 you could still use your EM1-2 in the housing. Just a thought.

I have an EPL10 in an AOI housing and an EM5-3 (no housing for the EM5-3). Im going to be selling both of them and getting the AOI housing for the EM1-3.

As far as lenses the only thing I would add to your kit would be either the Panasonic 8mm F3.5 fisheye or the Olympus 8mm f1.8 fisheye, I've ben told to only get the Olympus if you think you are going to do any astrophotography. I've been happy with my Pana 8mm F3.5 Fisheye.

I like the AOI a lot and with the new port that supports the 90 macro switching, I am even more liking it. Of course it is not quite as nice as the Nauticam (no 45 finder is the big issue) but I have learned to work around that. The built in leak/strobe trigger is awesome. One thing that I keep telling myself is that I shoot for me, no one else (no one else cares) and I like what i can do with the system. On a liveaboard I definitely have camera/housing envy, but I DON'T have photo envy, I can get pretty much any photo anyone else shooting the same camera can get. I routinely print 16 x 20 inches with no issues so I don't really need a lot more pixels.
Bill

The AOI port that allows you to switch focusing distances just arrived. On land at least it works fine. Leaving for Bali/Lembeh Tuesday and hopefully will be able to test it out. I wonder if trying a diopter on the end of the 90 is complete lunacy.
Bill

I think it would be a hindrance, although the camera is snappy. I’m just finishing up three weeks with the 90 (Wakatobi and Bali) and have been very pleased with the lens (and the camera). There’s a good bit of current on some of the Tulamben dives, and the speed of the OM-1/90 combination is terrific.

So I just found your post. One thing to keep in mind is that if you decide to go with the EM1-3 (instead of the OM-1) you COULD get the AOI housing that would work with both your Em1-2 and EM1-3. this way should anything happen to your EM1-3 you could still use your EM1-2 in the housing. Just a thought.

I have an EPL10 in an AOI housing and an EM5-3 (no housing for the EM5-3). Im going to be selling both of them and getting the AOI housing for the EM1-3.

As far as lenses the only thing I would add to your kit would be either the Panasonic 8mm F3.5 fisheye or the Olympus 8mm f1.8 fisheye, I've ben told to only get the Olympus if you think you are going to do any astrophotography. I've been happy with my Pana 8mm F3.5 Fisheye.
I just ordered a refurbished EM1-3 from OM. It's supposed to be delivered on Tuesday. After I test out the camera I'm going to post my EPL10 for sale.

Back
Top Bottom