What is Wrong?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It does not look like fog to me.
Its uniformly hazed. In my experience, fog is, for lack of a better term, blotchy.

Aside to the uniformity, how could there be fog in Bali? Hotel room temperature and ambient and dive temperature are almost all the same. I suppose if it got hot in the camera housing and temperatures were much cooler, then condensation may be created.

This to me looks like improper placement of the light.
The light may have been pointed towards the lens.

Can you share my samples.
I've looked through most of the shots and you are right, the flash was in a position where (with 100 diffuser) the light was spilling into the camera. I have turned the flash down and moved flashes away and the issue goes away.
Bloody user error - don't you hate it ?????

Think I'll get a couple of snoots...

As long as I only screw up 80% of my images and get back on the boat with a dry camera and working strobes, I feel like I'm coming out ahead. That said, I review images after capture a lot more than I used to, so that I can adjust if need be. Looking at a set of images from Bali a few weeks ago, I have 10 images of some things with one that I can work with--and several images of others without anything useable.

Making it harder is definitely the way to go!

I've looked through most of the shots and you are right, the flash was in a position where (with 100 diffuser) the light was spilling into the camera. I have turned the flash down and moved flashes away and the issue goes away.

Glad we figured it out.

Oh, and ask me how I knew it wasn't fog and was improper light placement :) :) :)

As long as I only screw up 80% of my images and get back on the boat with a dry camera and working strobes, I feel like I'm coming out ahead. That said, I review images after capture a lot more than I used to, so that I can adjust if need be. Looking at a set of images from Bali a few weeks ago, I have 10 images of some things with one that I can work with--and several images of others without anything useable.

Making it harder is definitely the way to go!
HA! Great line as I am a sucker for difficult, Birding and diving don't get a lot tougher than that.....
I saw something I had never seen before on this last trip and still managed to stuff the shot up...GRRRR!
Some form of a scorpion fish but about 3" long and new to me.
1701986859508.png

HA! Great line as I am a sucker for difficult, Birding and diving don't get a lot tougher than that.....
I saw something I had never seen before on this last trip and still managed to stuff the shot up...GRRRR!
Some form of a scorpion fish but about 3" long and new to me.
View attachment 814581
I think that's a flying gurnard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom